Talk

Advanced search

Hair-dyeing experts, please share some advice

(4 Posts)
Merguez Sun 09-Mar-14 12:09:34

My hair is naturally mid-brown, now lightly streaked with grey.

I used to have blonde highlights put in at hairdresser with a semipermanent tint overlaid to lighten it all over and reduce the impact of the greys. It has all grown out now and I like the slightly darker colour.

But not the greys - and I want to start doing it myself to save time and money.

I have bought some dark-blonde dye in the hope that it will make the grey look like blonde highlights and the brown will stay brown.

Will this work, or am I asking for trouble?

ChubbyKitty Sun 09-Mar-14 12:14:05

If it's a dye that says it will handle greys then yes, should work nicely. In theory it should lighten the darker hair by a couple of shades and make the greys a similar colour to the dye.

This is just my theory though, but I don't have personal experience of dying greys, although I've known people with greys to do something similar and it has worked out just like that.

Merguez Sun 09-Mar-14 12:17:21

That is what I am hoping for - thanks ChubbyKitty.

Anyone else tried doing it this way?

AnnabelleDarling Sun 09-Mar-14 12:37:13

Well, home dyes are generally a shade or 2 darker than they say they will be, so dark blond will probably be light brown. I would think that would do the trick with your greys although it won't lighten your overall colour. If you're not happy with the result you could go a shade darker.

I have been dying my greys since my mid 30s and IME, nice & easy gives the best results. I would use a semi permanent to start off with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now