Talk

Advanced search

Help needed: bargain Gerard Darel blazer? Rip out shoulders? Return?

(5 Posts)
bewleysisters Sat 08-Mar-14 21:57:38

Was in a wild mood in TK Maxx earlier and bought a Gerard Darel mainline double breasted blazer. Like this only in fine black wool:img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/2/7/4/3/8/webimg/576126422_o.jpg

It is beautifully made - very lightweight wool and lined in fine cotton. Fits like a glove and uber flattering. In theory it should fill a gap in my wardrobe: would smarten-up a pair of jeans for a night out, or be grown-up option over a going-out dress etc.

But...it has ginormous shoulder pads that stick out at the sides as well as on top. Like to think it is more Carine Roitfield than Hilary Devey but I may just be deluding myself....

What do you reckon? How would you wear it? Kind of tempted to open lining and hack away at the shoulder pads myself, but it is very beautifully constructed and that feels a bit like vandalism.

I have rugby player- sized shoulders to start with, so don't really need the extra help...

JeanSeberg Sat 08-Mar-14 23:01:13

It's a lovely blazer and I see what you mean about the shoulder pads. I think I would be tempted to cut them back to line up with the end of the shoulder as you say, ie a couple of inches off.

Other than that, it looks fab!

bewleysisters Sun 09-Mar-14 12:40:23

Thanks JeanSeberg. How would you wear it?

JeanSeberg Sun 09-Mar-14 12:43:55

Jeans, heels and a plain white tee shirt.

Take it to a dressmaker and get it done properly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now