Talk

Advanced search

cutting my own hair - please tell me there's nothing that can go wrong...

(13 Posts)
CuttedUpGrape Sat 08-Mar-14 19:06:52

i've got an outgrown pixie cut and no money for the hairdresser. so i've decided to use dp's clippers and give myself a mohawk. foolproof, right? hmm if it all goes pear shaped i'll have to chop the whole lot...

please come and share your DYI hairstyling disasters or indeed tips to get it right with this messy headed MNer.

MostlyMama Sat 08-Mar-14 19:07:26

That sounds like a recipe for disaster, sorry. grin

BarbaraWoodlouse Sat 08-Mar-14 19:08:59

If we assure you it's fine do we get before and after pictures? [hopeful]

It's not fine really

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 08-Mar-14 21:05:16

Can you not spare �10 to get a trainee stylist to do your hair? My local salon has a final year stylist who will cut your hair for �10. Sometimes I see ads in the papers for hairdresser models & the haircut is either free or heavily discounted.

I would be nervous about getting the back straight but my hair is longer than yours. Good luck!

NannyK7H Sat 08-Mar-14 21:25:42

How outgrown is it? When I was growing out mine on a budget, I bought some cheap micro ring extensions on eBay and got my front to put them in on the sides, so I had a graduated bob look as opposed to the mullet look!! Did the job for the few months of 'evening out'...

MadBusLady Sat 08-Mar-14 21:45:28

I have come on here all gung-ho to say I cut my fringe back in today under the influence of beer after five years of boring layers and it looks absolutely fine if a bit wonky, but even I would baulk at doing a Mohawk with DP's clippers, sorry grin

BOFtastic Sat 08-Mar-14 21:48:53

You'll probably do a better job than I did on my mum today. She asked me to trim her short(ish) layered hair. I did one side, asked her to face the opposite way...and then proceeded to do the same side again grin.

It was like that episode of Friends with Ross in the tanning booth grin

<no spatial awareness>

Flangeofmingetown Sat 08-Mar-14 22:03:18

It's very easy to cut a pixie with clippers yourself. Order a grade no10 clip from Amazon for the top. Use no8 on the back and sides. Once you have this get some thinning scissors ( these cost a couple of pounds) and pick the hair up at the crown and chop into sections. This will help to de block it. Do the same with the hair over the ears and the fringe.

Whack some wax in to muss it up and you're done.

TheJumped Sat 08-Mar-14 22:28:01

BOF grin

CuttedUpGrape Sun 09-Mar-14 13:48:01

oh my god BOF, your poor mum grin

i'm still dithering, thanks flange that was the sort of advice i was after. i promise to post before and after pics when i finally manage to pluck up enough courage!

lottieandmia Sun 09-Mar-14 13:49:06

No, do not do it! You'll regret it! I doubt that even hairdressers cut their own hair.

CuttedUpGrape Sun 09-Mar-14 14:41:00

i know, lottieandmia, that's what's holding me back. and DP might have gone to hide the clippers now grin

Flangeofmingetown Sun 09-Mar-14 17:02:48

I have been cutting my hair for years and I'm always happy with how it turns out unlike when I have visited a hairdresser and end up with something resembling sonic the hedgehog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now