Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone gracefully gone grey?

(16 Posts)
stripeygreensocks Sat 08-Mar-14 10:54:09

I'm in my early thirties, not very fashionable but hopefully I dress well for my shape and age.
I have had a few grey hairs since I was 28 I think. I used to dye my hair at home very regularly however I haven't been well recently and the grey is showing.
Has anyone just let nature take its course? My hair is quite dark so they are obvious but don't bother me.
Will it look terrible and be ageing?

goinggreyagain Sat 15-Mar-14 20:33:41

I did this about three years ago and ended up cutting my hair too short so I hated it and went back to coloring it. Worst mistake so I started again last summer and had lots and lots of highlights put (almost white) so I could grow it out without that white line. I still have about another 6 months of haircuts before it is completely natural but I love it. My scalp and hair have never felt better. I do find I can't wear any washed out colors now and have to be meticulous about conditioning to avoid the scary witch look and have to use shimmer lights once a week. Try it, you can always go back to coloring if you don't like it.

boodles Sat 15-Mar-14 20:36:31

I am forty this year and not dyed my hair. I hate what the dye does to the condition of my hair more than a few greys.

whitecat Sun 16-Mar-14 08:05:27

In theory it shouldn't look terrible or ageing. It should compliment your skin tone and eye colour. As goinggreyagain said you'll probably have to look at what suits your new hair look. It might mean a change of make up if you wear it or changing the colour of clothes near your face.
It is liberating not to be tied to the dye and if you stick with it you'll start seeing women around you who are doing the same thing.

Auriga Sun 16-Mar-14 08:12:49

I let my color fade, then the hairdresser did fine highlights with bleach, and I grew it out. It started to look better straight away because the grey suited my skin tone. I had been using an ash blonde with hardly any brown but it still wasn't right.

My hair's in much better condition and I'm saving a lot of money. No regrets.

cece Sun 16-Mar-14 08:13:44

I stopped dyeing mine about 3 years ago. it is liberating. I like it. ive had mixed reactions. some women have compliment ed it, others dont like it and think I should dye it. Men dont seem to voice an opinion. lol!!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 16-Mar-14 08:35:14

I stopped dying it completely and went back to my natural colour then had very subtle low lights put through so I still have lots of grey it just looks a bit less ..erm.. greygrin

whitecat Sun 16-Mar-14 08:41:46

That's true cece men seem neither to notice or care.

MuffTheMagicDragonButter Sun 16-Mar-14 08:47:47

I know a woman who has dark hair and doesn't dye her greys and looks great, she has a very sharp cut and her clothes are quite edgy and cool. She looks confident and striking because of the grey.

I think it helps if you either have wild curly hair or a straight edgy style. Another friend of mine does dye her greys but it doesn't seem like a style choice as she has that sort of shoulder length bob 'hanging there' type of hair.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 16-Mar-14 08:51:23

Yeah men couldn't give a toss, women on the other hand have been very vocal!

MuffTheMagicDragonButter Sun 16-Mar-14 08:55:04

Sorry, that should say she doesn't dye her greys.

FiveHoursSleep Sun 16-Mar-14 08:58:07

I stopped dyeing my hair a few years ago.I had quite dark hair before, so I think I do look quite grey but mostly I get people asking where I got my highlights done!!
I don't really care about fashion and don't wear makeup so it suits me not to bother about what colour my hair is smile

EyelinerQueen Sun 16-Mar-14 08:58:27

Me! I'm 33 and really quite vain and into my looks.

I was dyeing my greys every two weeks (old natural hair colour was dark brown) and was thoroughly fed up of it.

Long story but I ended up shaving my head two months ago and now I'm letting the grey grow in.

I feel totally liberated and while I don't like it being this short (and can't wait for it to grow) I love the colour.

Do it!

FiveHoursSleep Sun 16-Mar-14 08:59:03

And whitecat is right. When you start looking, you'll see there are quite a few of us out there smile

EyelinerQueen Sun 16-Mar-14 09:01:40

Oh and my DP loves it.

He thinks I look like Carol from The Walking Dead hmm grin .

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 16-Mar-14 09:22:47

Carol is hot!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now