Talk

Advanced search

Estate Agent Workwear Help Please

(12 Posts)
90sthrowback Fri 07-Mar-14 18:48:30

Ok so I know that Estate Agents are universally disliked, but after years of being a scruffy SAHM I've got a job at an Estate Agents.

My contact with EAs is limited to Homes Under the Hammer where they are mostly men wearing suits.

So what should a 5'9, winter colouring, size 16/18 wear please? Is a dress and cardi too casual or does it need to be a pinstripe trouser suit with a crisp cotton blouse?

And what about foot wear? I don't want to wear really high heels and end up looking like a man in drag.

Budget is very much in the Dorothy Perkins, New Look, M&S range...well at least until I get commission on a few mansions then I'll be in Louboutins grin

thanks

Gillybobs Fri 07-Mar-14 19:30:14

I run an EA office and I'm usually in pencil skirt/printed blouse/jacket or shift dress and jacket. In warm weather I switch to ankle grazing trousers like Boden bistro crops (with blouse and a blazer) rather than a skirt as I don't like skirts without opaques. Pinstripes suits feel a bit dated to me so I wouldn't wear those personally.
I'm out and about a lot so cold/rain can be an issue so I have a warm lined trench coat I rely on a lot.

Footwear wise I like m and s ankle boots or shoe boots, mid height heels so comfy enough for all day wear.

Hope that helps, good luck in your job.

90sthrowback Fri 07-Mar-14 20:46:37

Thanks Gillybobs that is really helpful thanks

CointreauVersial Fri 07-Mar-14 22:23:07

Are there any women in the office where you'll be working? Maybe see what they are wearing.

I'm envy by the way. I have a secret desire to be an estate agent.

MissWimpyDimple Fri 07-Mar-14 22:56:45

I work in lettings. We have a dress code of black/navy and white. In reality this means a lot f black trousers/skirts/shift dresses and coloured tops.

Crutchlow35 Fri 07-Mar-14 23:00:29

I am an estate agent and pretty much wear what gilly does although at the moment I am wearing wool wide leg trousers with cashmere type sweaters and a scarf. Brogues are comfy.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Mar-14 23:01:29

I am a commercial agent and live in black trousers, muted tops and winter coat with heeled boots, scarf and sometimes a jaunty hat! I am out and about a lot and spend plenty of time in cold empty buildings and warehouses. Suits would not be suitable for my line of work

90sthrowback Fri 07-Mar-14 23:58:48

grin Cointreau, I love the idea of noseying round people's houses!

The only woman in the office was pregnant and was in a floral maternity dress, so I don't know if that is normal attire or the exception as she is pregnant IYSWIM.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, as it's residential I don't think I will need to be quite as warm as Funnys.

Crutchlow35 Sat 08-Mar-14 07:19:51

Ah you will get bored of seeing houses. You are lucky as it is coming into spring but when you stand doing viewings in empty repossessed houses with no heating, you will be wondering why you are there!

MrsJoeHart Sat 08-Mar-14 08:27:37

I also wear Boden bistro crops with a silk blouse in better weather. In the winter a smart warm coat is essential and you don't want high heels as some days you'll be on your feet a lot.

Gillybobs Sat 08-Mar-14 09:12:11

Yep,plenty of freezing cold houses n residential sales OP! Between repos and part exchanges, if you are doing viewings you WILL be cold in winter. I really recommend you get some heat tech ls tops to wear under blouses during the cold months. I have them in cream, black, grey and navy and wouldn't dream of going to work without one on oct-March

I do love the work though, it can be fascinating (for good and bad reasons!)

90sthrowback Sat 08-Mar-14 09:36:50

grin I'm still in the starry eyed naive bit where I can't imagine going into the kind of houses that need Kim & Aggie's touch, in my mind I'll be wandering round the set of Footballers Wives.

I shall invest in thermals - thanks for the warning.

I'm not sure I can do bistro crops, they look lovely on other people, but on me I would be immediately thinking "hmm ankle bashers" as the DC term them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now