Talk

Advanced search

Cashmere jumper rescue

(14 Posts)
CardiCorgi Fri 07-Mar-14 08:16:10

I think I probably know the answer to this one, but it's worth a try. DH stupidly washed a favourite cashmere jumper in the machine and it has shrunk. Is there any way to pull it back into shape? I'm worried that it has felted very slightly too (he tends to overfill the machine).
I know it's trivial in the grand scheme of things but it's just topped up my general bad mood, especially as I had set aside a load of woollens to do myself, it's always my stuff that gets ruined in the machine, not his, and the sleeves were a bit unusual so I can't simply buy a replacement.

OhCaptainDarling Fri 07-Mar-14 10:20:32

Nightmare, I would also be so disappointed.

Sorry but in my experience it's a goner! sad

LoonvanBoon Fri 07-Mar-14 10:24:11

This has happened to me a few times & in my experience once it's shrunk it's shrunk, CardiCorgi - though will be delighted if anyone else does have any tips.

All I can think of is if the shrinkage is mainly in length, you could wet again (bowl of cool water) & then dry on a hanger in the hope that the weight might stretch it. This has worked for me with a linen blend knitted top, though not with cashmere, but I can't think of anything else to try (warning: could pull it more out of shape too).

TulipOHare Fri 07-Mar-14 11:44:35

Oh no sad angry

I don't know what you can do apart from kill him

DP is under strict instructions not to wash anything of mine that is knitted.

CardiCorgi Fri 07-Mar-14 12:28:14

Well thanks for the sympathy, that makes me feel a bit better. I'll try wetting it and gently pulling but otherwise, it'll be in the upcycling pile for when I feel crafty. That's the third dead jumper this winter, but the other two were much older.

I don't know why he did it, DH is usually very good with laundry and he left all of my other woolly stuff. A couple of underwired bras seem to have got in there too, maybe he was feeling a bit distracted. I suppose that makes up for my "indiscretion" with the car.

Next question, any ideas for a nice cashmere jumper? This one was a slately blue-grey boden number with boat neck and wide sleeves gathered into pleats at the cuffs. I don't really like any of their current offerings.

TulipOHare Fri 07-Mar-14 12:40:10

I know the one you mean. They actually turn up on Ebay quite often (I've watched a few as I love the colour), so you could get a bargain (normally go for £20-£30).

Twinklestein Fri 07-Mar-14 13:05:02

I don't let either my husband or my cleaner anywhere near my cashmere, silk or delicates.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 07-Mar-14 13:17:38

Indiscretion with the car?

Do tell. grin

LoonvanBoon Fri 07-Mar-14 13:35:48

Tulip's right - they do come up on ebay. There's an also m&s autograph style from a few years ago with a boat neck (& 3/4 sleeves) that also crops up on ebay - I bought one in a teal colour in the Autumn. And another autograph style with scoop neck & gathered sleeves that I've seen a few times (yes, I waste too much time searching for cashmere on ebay!).

CardiCorgi Fri 07-Mar-14 13:50:09

Thank you for the ebay suggestion. A quick glance has given me a couple of jumpers with the same sort of feel, so I am sure I will find what I want with a bit of digging.

Twinklestein I had foolishly gone away for the weekend (first time without the dc).

Oh dear, the car. The back story is that I have never liked our car as it is big, poncey and expensive and is parked in a communal garage with other big poncey expensive cars; in fact I didn't want us to get it and refused to drive it until this winter (we live in a large central European city with good public transport). Anyway, I wanted to train for a sporting event and in order to get to anywhere where I could train I just had to get over myself and drive the wretched thing. DH usually got it out of the garage for me, but on my first solo attempt I dented it. Ouch. I suggested to DH, half jokingly, that he leave the repair until after my event just in case I did it again and got lots of "you'd better not" type mutterings. I don't think I need to tell you the next bit, do I? Same location on both car and garage.
At least my race went well...

CointreauVersial Fri 07-Mar-14 22:43:45

Can't help you, I'm afraid, as my DH has never in living memory washed any of my clothes, either by design or by accident. wink

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 08-Mar-14 00:29:24

Oh dear Cardi.

Rest assured you are not alone. blush

BonzaBetty Sat 08-Mar-14 00:57:39

Conditioner! Wash it with a full bottle of hair conditioner as though it were soap, then dry flat. It won't be quite the same but best you can do.

CardiCorgi Wed 19-Mar-14 14:04:44

Betty thanks for the tip. I did as you said and pulled it gently into shape. It isn't quite its former self, but is definitely wearable again. Dh apologised, it appears that it was a genuine mistake and I think I'm forgiven with the car too (damage not as expensive as the crunching sound would be indicated).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now