Talk

Advanced search

Getting hair cut and coloured by students

(4 Posts)
brokenshoes Thu 06-Mar-14 14:27:41

Just discovered that my local college has a beauty and hairdressing salon for their students to work in whilst training. Given how expensive hair cuts and colouring are these days, this could be a very good way to save money.

But I'm not very good at describing what I want, so I tend to stay with my hairdresssers for quite a long time, so they can get to know me and my lifestyle. If a haircut doesn't quite work for me, they can do something different next time.

I guess that students will come and go more frequently so I wouldn't be able to build a relationship with a particular hairdresser. Also, I've never had my hair professionally coloured. What could go wrong with an inexperienced hairdresser doing it?!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 06-Mar-14 14:37:05

Students are heavily supervised ime,I used to have my hair done at a salon that did training evenings.

Ime they take a long time as they are very thorough, so take a book.

MyRealNamesBernard Thu 06-Mar-14 14:45:10

I used to go to one of the big hairdressing salon chain's training academies to get my hair cut and highlighted. Apart from the fact that it sometimes took twice as long as going to a fully-qualified hairdresser, I had no problems whatsoever.

The students are overseen by 'tutors' who obviously have years of experience and who keep a very close eye on proceedings. And if the trainees got stuck or were not sure how to do something they would ask their tutors.

It's a bit of pot luck as to who you will get to do your hair. If you are lucky you might have someone who is almost qualified and just needs to complete one specific technique to tick off the final box. (I once allowed a student to give me a bob so she could pass the final stage of her course). Or you might get someone doing their first ever cut - I had this once, and it took ages. But the bloke was lovely and since I was paying peanuts I was happy to help. Plus, his tutor ended up doing most of it to show him the techniques, so I pretty much got a senior stylist cut for a tenner.

I only stopped going because I moved from the area. I have had much worse cuts by more senior stylists in high street salons.

brokenshoes Thu 06-Mar-14 15:33:49

Brilliant! There is a choice of having Level 2 or Level 3 students, with prices varying accordingly, so there would be an option of having a more experienced student if needed.

Will definitely check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now