Talk

Advanced search

Casual trousers for pear shape - Banana Republic?

(34 Posts)
ocelot41 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:53:26

Oh fashion gurus please help! I have recently lost a lot of weight and am now a 10/12 but am irredeemably pear-shaped. I have decided to give up on jeans partly because it feels a bit of a rut and partly because they have never been that flattering.

Since then I have flirted with jersey or yoga pants but I am too short to really look good in them; wide legs (ditto); harem pants (oh dear God no!); chinos (turn ups just make me look shorter), cords and moleskins (yet to find non-skinny versions which don't make me look like I should have a green Barbour and gundog in tow).

Help me women! Banana Republic looks a possible go-er - maybe? Does anyone have any experience of their trews or other recommendations?

I need a higher waist fit,straight or bootcut, not skinny, and colour-wise am after beige/olive/brown/aubergine, rather than black/navy. Anyone?

lurkingaround Thu 06-Mar-14 10:09:52

I'm a pear and I have www.bananarepublic.com/products/womens-martin-pants.jsp from Banana Republic. I wear them to work tho, they are definitely not casual. Never worn at weekends. They're not bad, they're good for work.

ocelot41 Thu 06-Mar-14 12:41:29

Thanks Lurking. Those were the ones I was looking at but I wondered a/ if they were dry clean only (so ok for work but not home) and b/ had a low waist band (which might lead to muffin top ishooos).

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 06-Mar-14 14:48:47

I'm a pear, and I quite like Banana's Martin cut too!

I do find that they don't all work for me, however - but I usually start with them. They do this cut across a few different fabrics and styles, and they've had it for years.

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 06-Mar-14 14:49:47

Re jeans, have you tried Levis Curve ID? TK Maxx quite oftem seem to have them in.

lurkingaround Thu 06-Mar-14 16:58:16

The Martin trousers are dry-clean, and no the waistband is now too low. Mid, I suppose. Fully lined, so quite nice to wear. But they are 'respectable' (as my mother would say) trousers. Possibly not the most suitable for running around at home. The Levi's curve are worth a look.

Brillenbar Thu 06-Mar-14 19:17:59

I have a few pairs of the sloane fit crops ( am also a short pear) and I like them v much. In theory dry clean only, but cold wash in machine seems fine ....

Used2bthin Thu 06-Mar-14 20:08:31

I am tall but very much a pear shape and find trousers so hard. Jeans are ok for me if I can get them with enough stretch but not always flattering.

Has anyone tried gap for trousers? I only ask because I find their leggings jeans fit me very well.

lurkingaround Thu 06-Mar-14 20:28:10

I have the Gap khakis, from last summer. I find them really flattering. I have a linen darkish grey pair and cotton navy one. They do 'give' a lot over the day so size down, probably 2 sizes. And they have those slanty pockets (I'm sure there's a correct name). Awful for pears. I sew them closed and they're great.

lurkingaround Thu 06-Mar-14 20:30:15

I also have the Gap Real Straight trousers for work. They're quite good. Size down again. Actually they should re-name Gap. Gap Size-Down. Gap Down-Size?

GarthsUncle Thu 06-Mar-14 20:30:18

Marking plCe.

ocelot41 Thu 06-Mar-14 20:40:12

Brill so far folks- keep the suggestions coming!

When I used to work in a very smart office I had two pairs tailor made by Gresham Blake (in Brighton, back when they were a tiny shoe box above a shop). They cost me eighty quid each and they fit soooo well I actually wore them until they fell apart over ten years later.

They were really simple- flat fronted, side zip, high waist, bit of a bootcut at the bottom, no pockets. Brilliant and really flattering. Most English women are pear shapes so why is it SO hard to find trousers like that in the shops? Esp for more casual wear? Anyone looking for a business opportunity?!

Used2bthin Thu 06-Mar-14 22:10:34

Thanks for the gap ideas. I love that gap has such generous sizes, I am just believing that they are the right sizes, its every where else that is in the wrong!

Myfirstcalendar Thu 06-Mar-14 22:24:01

Those Martin trousers are lovely. Considers spending amnesty. I am a tall pear but I find Zara fits me well - flat fronted really helps to draw attention to waist not awful thighs but I don't have much of a bottom...or perhaps I am deluding myself and they just horribly emphasise my thunderous thighs. For work mind - not casual as per brief.

Notgoingtotakeitanymore Fri 07-Mar-14 08:30:08

Jigsaw some styles ok for pears. I am struggling with same thing. Just
want nice plain well fittinf trousers. Maybe the US companies are better
at catering for different shapes?

ocelot41 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:10:01

Which styles are you finding work notgoingtotakeit? Great name by the way...I may try looking at US companies, but then you have got extra postage and import costs.

Also totally baffled about why all trousers are sold in black, navy and (sometimes) charcoal. I mean, guys, really how about some COLOUR!

lurkingaround Fri 07-Mar-14 09:38:36

These are the navy khakis.
I can't remeber which the grey are , I think they're these ones.

Used2bthin Fri 07-Mar-14 11:19:57

Lurking I am going to order those gap trousers. Actually no I am going to go in and try them on as tall is 31 inch leg which may or may not be ok on me.

Notgoingtotakeitanymore Fri 07-Mar-14 15:14:45

I think the jigsaw ones are called windsor fit but I can
onky see them in jeans online

ocelot41 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:37:45

They look well worth a try Lurking thanks! I haven't been in Gap ages as they used to be really bad at doing jeans that made you look like you had a massive arse even if you didn't and then EVERYTHING has a low rise waist for a bit..and I just kind of gave up!

lurkingaround Fri 07-Mar-14 19:24:24

smile

My legs are short and I just rolled up the legs of them. I wore them a lot last summer with these type of sandals (of which I have a few!).

ocelot41 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:44:08

Like the sandals Lurking! Lots of lovely colour too.

My next conundrum was how to break out of Birkenstocks (and still walk) in the summer as have little broad hobbit feet and end up with agonising blisters in anything not wide fitting. Are these fairly soft leather? If so, you may have just solved two problems for me in one thread!

lurkingaround Fri 07-Mar-14 21:12:59

grin But Birkenstocks are v fashionable again this year! No need to break out of them! Yes, the sandals are soft leather. I think some patterned ones had tough-ish leather. There was a day or so of breaking them in but no blisters! I love them, and I see they have loads of designs this year. Cheap as chips on hols, so bought a few. Word of warning tho: my v stylish friend hates them!

ocelot41 Sat 08-Mar-14 07:14:03

Birkenstocks are in? Brilliant! See if I hang onto something long enough, it might come around again...

isisisis Sat 08-Mar-14 10:43:39

ARAGHHHHHH! This is why I don't come on the S&B board!!! Off to find credit card & browse khakis & sandels. I hate you all. flowers flowers flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now