Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used bio oil for scars ????

(9 Posts)
Mintymoomoo Wed 05-Mar-14 21:03:44

5 weeks ago my beautiful dd age 6 had a awful accident at school leaving her needing to be stitched up by a plastic surgeon.

I know it's till early days but the scaring on her face is awful, I'm so sad that my baby is scared for life on her face!

I have always heard about bio oil but just wondered what sort of results I can expect and how long until I see results

playftseforme Wed 05-Mar-14 21:05:42

My dd aged 4 fell in the preschool playground and needed steri strips on her face (so not so bad, but extensive nonetheless). We used bio oil twice a day for a couple of months, not a mark on her now.

Lettucesnow Wed 05-Mar-14 21:10:29

After hip replacement 3 years ago. Mine looked horrific at first. Used Bio every day at first and then every now and again. I still have scar but definitely nothing like at the beginning. Not sure if Bio oil helped but will continue using.

Younger skin tends to heal well anyway. Have patience. If not you could always ask GP to be referred to plastic surgeon. Give it time as you may be surprised how well things go.

Sorry for short bursts but tired. smile

Mintymoomoo Wed 05-Mar-14 21:20:47

Thank you, I know it's only early days but the scaring is just so red, have only been using bio oil for a week, she has been so good bless her remembering to ask me to out in every morning and night, I know it's going to take time, I just wish she didn't have to go through that first awful day of hurting herself that badly and the horrendous recovery after, she was so brave bless her! Was honestly the worst day of my life nothing prepared me for that moment I arrived at the school to get her, she looked like she had been muled by a pack of dogs!

MooseBeTimeForSnow Wed 05-Mar-14 21:29:06

My son recently obtained a second degree burn down the front of his left arm. We were recommended a product called Kelocote.

Osakagirl Wed 05-Mar-14 21:29:45

I had an operation to remove a basal cell carcinoma on my nose in a really obvious place. I used Healgel (http://www.healgel.co.uk/), which is quite a lot more expensive than Bio-oil, but the dermatologist I saw said that Bio-oil doesn't work that well. Healgel was formulated especially for scars, and six months later, I can't really see the scar at all. I would definitely use it again if I had any obvious scars.

burnishedsilver Wed 05-Mar-14 22:04:51

Bio oil didn't do much for me.

Ds had a bad gash in his chin,requiring stitches. The scaring was very obvious. A year later its barely noticeable. Young skin heals so well.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Mar-14 23:09:55

Google silicon scar reduction patches. It's the only thing thing works. Bio oil etc only works because you are massaging and massage helps in general and stimulates blood flow and breaks down scar tissue. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly kids' skin heals though, give it some time.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 05-Mar-14 23:14:13

Heal gel's active ingredient is silicone do that's a good option especially for faces if a patch isn't practical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now