loader

Talk

Advanced search

Laser hair removal - how many sessions?

(19 Posts)
DrMaybe Wed 05-Mar-14 20:50:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maverick66 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:09:32

My dd had it done. It took 18 months. She had it done on NHS. They use a medical grade laser. Hair has growth stages so can only have treatment every 10-12 weeks and shave between sessions. She now has maintenance done every 16 weeks or so. This is done by a private salon but one specifically trained in laser and other skin problems. The treatment costs £90 - £100 per session but she gets her face chin upper lip and chest done. It can be quite a painful process and with sensitive skin you may find it irritated after each session. My daughter took a painkiller 15 minutes before each session and lathered on Aloe Vera Gel after each treatment. It is also helpful to take an antihistamine to help with itch which may or may not occur. Having said all of this laser hair removal was the best thing my daughter ever did smile

DrMaybe Wed 05-Mar-14 21:11:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alwaysrunninginheels Wed 05-Mar-14 21:42:04

I've had upper lip, under arm and bikini. Used sk:n which do offers and tesco voucher exchange. They advise 8 sessions, but body has 6 weeks between treatments. Face only 4. It is the best thing ever. Honestly fantastic. Would highly recommend.

MrsExtraOrdinary Wed 05-Mar-14 21:45:16

I've always wondered about this but thought I'd go for the lumea instead? I too get horrendous in grown hairs that are really painful.

BillyBanter Wed 05-Mar-14 21:48:54

I had my treasure trail done. It took 6 session That was more than 10 years ago and nothing gown there since.

BillyBanter Wed 05-Mar-14 21:50:07

That said I did a groupon deal on my bikini line. It was hopeless. They didn't do the full area. Not sure if I did all the 6 sessions before giving up.

nutterbutsquash Thu 06-Mar-14 18:10:54

I had 6 sessions of laser (rather than IPL). It's still a bit patchy so could prob do with a couple more but soooo much better than it was that I haven't bothered getting any more sessions. It's also really quite painful which I wasn't expecting, but maybe I just have sensitive follicles (or something)!

MooMinCow Thu 06-Mar-14 19:33:29

I've just had my second session of laser on my lower legs this morning (had my first 4 weeks ago). I'm Asian so fairly dark tan skin and black hair, so IPL not effective on me, so it's a proper hardcore laser she's using.

I wont lie - It hurts confused, like having a rubber band snapped constantly against your skin or needles stabbing your legs, but my therapist has this machine that blows ice cold air at the area simultaneously as the laser shots which does help. My legs are now red, blotchy and hot (I've never had sunburn but guess similar feeling), but copious amounts of aloe Vera gel is helping and it only lasts a day or so.

After my first session I had very few hairs come back, but she reckons 5 sessions total with possible yearly top ups after.

It's a way to permanently REDUCE hair growth, they cannot claim its permanent hair removal (AFAIK only electrolysis can make that claim). And you need to follow aftercare etc properly (sunblock/high SPF on treated areas)

nickdrakeslovechild Thu 06-Mar-14 20:52:33

I had bikini and underarms done about 6 years ago, It is amazing. I think I had 6 laser sessions, the best results are fair skin with dark hair (which is me!) since then and even after having a child I might get the odd single hair which I just pluck out.
I was the same as you with really sensitive skin so got awful shaving rash and ingrowing hairs. The salon recommended buying emla anaesthetic cream from boots which you pop on an hour before treatment. It's a thick paste sits on the skin which you have to cover in cling film. Completely numbs the area.

BillyBanter Fri 07-Mar-14 00:25:53

I think it's electrolysis that can only claim to reduce hair growth and laser is permanent.

Certainly I'm 10years and counting on the bit I had done.

AgathaF Fri 07-Mar-14 07:48:13

What's the difference between laser and IPL?

wundawoman Fri 07-Mar-14 07:53:29

I'm fair skin, dark hair. Had my legs done with laser (not ipl) 2 years ago. Had about 6 sessions but noticeably less hair after just one session!! Its brilliant - I love my legs now!! No more waxing - ever!!! grin

Prettykitty111 Fri 07-Mar-14 08:51:53

I've just started shr which apparently is the new wonder product following on from ipl. It's doesn't hurt (just feels warm) takes much less time per session (bikini, leg and underarm done in under an hour) and after one session I had great fun pulling out all the dead hairs! I had to delay my second treatment as nothing has grown back after that one session (It's 6 weeks after the first treatment) my legs and underarms have a few hairs now but my bikini is line is still smooth as a baby's bum! It costs more but I would definately recommend it. I've paid for 6 sessions and I get the 7th free but at this rate that should cover a few yearly top ups too!

BecauseIsaidS0 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:21:38

I needed about 10 sessions of IPL for my underarms but I'm very hairy grin. Bikini line was about 8 sessions. Am now considering doing full legs.

AngieM2 Fri 07-Mar-14 14:13:51

pretty whats shr, how much is it and where did you get it done?

Prettykitty111 Fri 07-Mar-14 16:38:11

Shr is super hair removal (amazing name huh) instead of pulsed light and the therapist having to move, pulse, move, pulse the laser shr works with a roller so they just roll it over the area and it pulses constantly. I think the laser is also more tuneable so they can adjust it to the point of you feeling the heat but without pain but I'm not 100% on that. At my consultation we spent about half an hour adjusting the laser to where I could just feel it (different for each part) and it hasn't hurt since apart from my inner thighs that stung like a bitch
It's quite expensive vs ipl. I paid £1500 for 7 sessions for my legs,underarms and extended bikini but like I say I haven't actually had real regrowth in 6 weeks after my first session. I got mine down at a beauty salon in maidstone that rhymes with quiche if youre near there....

SugarplumKate Fri 07-Mar-14 17:19:50

Go for it, best thing I ever did - I am really hairy! Had 6 sessions on legs and bikini line at 2 different places courtesy of groupon. Legs could do with more sessions (remember I am like a gorilla ...) but the hair is 75% gone.

chaddackerman Thu 17-Dec-15 10:37:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now