Talk

Advanced search

Is this dress OK for a wedding?

(16 Posts)
itstheyearzero Wed 05-Mar-14 17:26:34

I've put a bit of weight on over the last year due to stopping smoking, so I'm skinny all over apart from my belly (why does fat not distribute evenly??) Anyway, none of my 'occasion' dresses fit me any more, so I need a new dress for a wedding in June. I was looking for something floaty and came across this. What do you thonk? Too black? I'm 43 by the way, shoulder length dark hair, big boobs, slim legs, big belly as already stated. Opinions please?

www.romanoriginals.co.uk/invt/40987?colour=Black

ThonHoor Wed 05-Mar-14 17:30:54

It's ok but black for a June wedding just looks wrong to me. You'd stand out for the the wrong reasons imo.

notoneforselfies Wed 05-Mar-14 17:31:20

Lovely dress. I think black is ok for a wedding these days, I'd accessorise it with a coloured cardigan and bag and shoes to break it up a bit... Does the red come in your size?

gymboywalton Wed 05-Mar-14 17:31:52

no i don't think it's appropriate
it's a dress for evening wear surely?

itstheyearzero Wed 05-Mar-14 17:35:28

I think the red looks a bit cheap, must be the shade of red that puts me off. I did wonder if black was inappropriate. .. back to the drawing board. ..?

If just evening, yes. For daytime in June, no.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 05-Mar-14 17:39:39

I wouldn't wear black to a wedding, but I'm old fashioned. It does look more like something you'd wear for a party or night out though. Wouldn't be suitable for a church wedding, and have my doubts about weddings at other venues too.

notoneforselfies Wed 05-Mar-14 17:44:03

If in June I'd wait a bit longer for new season stuff to come in before deciding.

itstheyearzero Wed 05-Mar-14 17:45:55

Ok. Has anybody seen anything that is a similar shape?

BackforGood Wed 05-Mar-14 17:46:15

Agree with others I'm afraid, think it's a bit 'evening-y' and not 'Summer-y' enough for a June wedding.
There are some great people on S&B to find things though if you want them to smile

eurochick Wed 05-Mar-14 17:54:14

I have a very similar dress in hot pink, from Coast, bought for an evening party. I think it's probably a bit more of an evening dress than a day one, although dressed with a jacket over it for the day part and unleashed for the evening it might work.

Jbck Wed 05-Mar-14 18:01:02

There are alot of nice dresses in the Occassion dress bit if the site, if thats your sort of budget.

itstheyearzero Wed 05-Mar-14 18:02:55

Can't afford to spend a lot...what is Coast sizing like, I just found this but they don't have a 14...http://www.coast-stores.com/maddie-dress/sale-dresses/coast/fcp-product/2224815039

Looks quite nice...?

itstheyearzero Wed 05-Mar-14 18:03:21

Sorry...
www.coast-stores.com/maddie-dress/sale-dresses/coast/fcp-product/2224815039

Tallypet Wed 05-Mar-14 18:09:14

Personally I'd stay away from this neckline if you're on the busty size - I wore a dress like this and it didn't hang well at all. It just seemed to enhance my bust (and I have a largish belly too) so it gave no shape at all. Try something with a lower neckline and a fitted waist (if you're worried about tummy then get some Spanx). Alternatively you could hang on for all the floaty dresses to come out next season.

itstheyearzero Wed 05-Mar-14 19:21:19

OK yes I guess you are right tally, thanks for the feedback. The search continues

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now