Talk

Advanced search

Chanel

(15 Posts)
namechangeagaininnit Wed 05-Mar-14 12:52:09

I thought it was meant to be dead classy an' that? The show in Paris was set in a supermarket. That's fine, quite kooky and well done. But their current brand ambassadors seem to be Rihanna, Miley bloody Cyrus, Cara Whatsherface and Lily Allen is always trying to get a chanel bag in shot (subtle).

I know catwalk shows are put on to boost sales of things that sell the most rather than haute couture as so little of that is sold (perfume etc), but it's starting to taint my view of my coco mademoiselle. What next, eau de skunk and smelly hair? But surely they still sell some eye wateringly expensive bags and clothes..,

Maybe I'm missing something and middle aged millionaire women really want to look like Rihanna and friends....

SnowBells Wed 05-Mar-14 13:05:06

I have been thinking that Chanel is trying to look 'younger' and accessible.

However, I do think that Chanel had a touch of bohemia about it for quite some years. These days, I mainly see models with Chanel. Middle-aged millionaire women know opt for Hermes. wink

namechangeagaininnit Wed 05-Mar-14 13:12:07

But the models all get their Chanel for free right? Who are they making money from?!

Unfortunately I don't have the chanel vs Hermes choice to make!

SnowBells Wed 05-Mar-14 13:20:41

Amongst non-celebs, you'll find that it's often 20-something Olsen sisters-type girls who have Chanel bags these days. Basically, posh art student type of girl.

Daddy's bank or credit card.

I haven't seen a Chanel bag on someone over 40 for quite some time. Some people do buy the Chanel 2.55 just because is such a classic, but don't use it often.

I'm in my 30s… and just can't see myself with one. I do think you have to either be 'bohemian chic' or have Catherine Deneuve-like elegance (oversized cashmere coat, always dressed up) to be able to rock it.

I've seen some celebs trying to carry such bags in fairly 'normal' clothes. Never seemed to impress me.

SnowBells Wed 05-Mar-14 13:31:48

Haha… just did a google search of the Olsen twins. THIS is exactly what I thought of writing the above post grin. Can't believe it materialized in a photo...

santamarianovella Wed 05-Mar-14 17:04:36

I really liked it,the show was set in the grand palais,and he transformed it into a supermarket,its a sort of satire,on branding,if you take a look at the products they were all labeled with something synonymous with chanel,the bottles were tweed tea,tweed cola and the ham jambon cambon. Whoever organised the show paid a lot of attention to details, amazing.

He got a lot of publicity for it,which is always a good thing.

MarshaBrady Wed 05-Mar-14 17:07:51

I really liked it. Colourful, thought the Chanel mats etc looked good.

Not that keen on the usual suspects but I suppose they will look like they are having fun.

Chanel can be fusty so I think it's a good idea to counteract that.

And as Santa says, it's getting loads of pr which is good. Every so often someone does something that everyone blogs etc and looks like it's Chanel's turn.

MarshaBrady Wed 05-Mar-14 17:09:25

Although I did notice knee high trainers. Which are kinda bonkers, anyone going to try those.

MarshaBrady Wed 05-Mar-14 17:12:19

ah here are.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 05-Mar-14 17:26:58

I think Chanel has lost the plot. Have you seen the ripped tweed suit for thousands n thousands?
Emperor's new clothes methinks.
And I love Chanel bags and their classic clothing.
Not that I could EVER afford to buy it.

SnowBells Wed 05-Mar-14 17:31:13

MarshaBrady

Those look a little like the Tretorn show jumping boots...

santamarianovella Wed 05-Mar-14 17:41:48

holly this just for the show,in boutiques things are displayed differently,more appropriate ,and you will still find the classic tweed jacket,and black dress all the time,its just for publicity, but although the show had so much going on you still notice the clothes,im really loving some the coats.

marsha haha! I bet those will be a success,I kid you not!

FrugalFashionista Wed 05-Mar-14 18:19:41

I saw a women in head to toe Chanel the other day. She was in line behind me at the supermarket with two cartons of Zymil milk. She looked normal, stylish, dressy and conservative. A turtleneck, a long gray tweed jacket, a beige reissue, black cigarette pants and flats.

Most of the outre pieces in shows are never made. They are just made for publicity. I see a lot of ladies who wear Dior and Chanel in their daily life and all of it is really pretty pared down. If you go shopping at Chanel, you'll see lots of fairly staid stuff and the some bags in screeching colors for Russian tourists.

santamarianovella Wed 05-Mar-14 18:52:22

,I don't think of chanel ready to wear as futuristic or avant garde at all,its still conservative,its just bits and pieces that karl barrows from media and celebrity culture, and he injects to the shows and ad campaign to give it a modern and on trend feel. Just clever marketing .
Its still older women who dress head to toe in chanel ,and younger ones who can afford it usually will wear the tweed jacket with jeans or leather mini skirt,but its still all about the bag for the younger generation.

,chanel generates profits from bags shoes and accessories,and the odd classic tweed jacket or LBD,his ready to wear clothes do sell but they make them in so little quantities ,most chanel boutiques have small display ready to wear area compared to the shoes and handbag area,which can take up to two floors.

MarshaBrady Wed 05-Mar-14 18:54:57

Santa I bet! They are new and Chanel, people will probably love them. Then there will be the copies soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now