Talk

Advanced search

J.Crew - a little peeved at UK site...

(9 Posts)
SnowBells Wed 05-Mar-14 12:33:52

… why are so many items that are on sale on the US site not on sale on the UK site?

Worse - they are even more expensive?!? I am ok with a few pounds difference. But seriously??? $59.99 in the US… £89.99 in the UK?!?

That's like 100x more expensive!!!

Grrrr…

… rant over.

Foxred10 Wed 05-Mar-14 12:36:53

It's infuriating! Also hate the way it doesn't add shipping until the very end so you forget how much more its going to be hmm
I order from US site now, get it sent to a friend over there and get her to post it over to me from her work....

SnowBells Wed 05-Mar-14 12:36:55

Normally don't read DM, but I just found this:

J Crew CEO Mickey Drexler's bizarre defense of chain's sky-high UK pricing

Makes me even more mad.

SnowBells Wed 05-Mar-14 12:43:15

Foxred10

Hmmm. I am thinking of maybe opening up one of those 'order from the US, and we'll send to you accounts'. I do have US friends, but they are busy enough as it is...

It's ridiculous...

BeginnerSAHM Wed 05-Mar-14 12:46:16

It's really weird.... Gap is about the same price in the UK as the US, Banana Republic is cheaper in the US and J Crew is MUCH cheaper in the US. It's not just down to more expensive costs in the UK - it's what they can get away with charging.

SnowBells Wed 05-Mar-14 12:53:50

I seriously don't know WHO would buy from the UK store?!? The whole 'expensive costs in the UK' argument does not work if all I want to do is buying online!!!!

Other US companies let you order from the US and ship it to you for a higher shipping rate. But I don't think that works with J.Crew!!!

It's simply not fair...

Matsikula Wed 05-Mar-14 21:12:51

Yeah, I've ordered from the website and complained about the pricing when they sent me a questionnaire - so they know it is a problem. Their loss - I won't buy from them if I can find something similar from a European brand, and I don't plan to go to the US any time soon (and couldn't be bothered to get a friend to post to me).

The hype will die down and they will lower their prices, I think Bannana Republic went through a similar process when they came here but couldn't sustain it. They make some weird claims in the article about costs - even complaining about British lightbulb s . Funnily enough the lighting in the Regent St store is dire. Strange how other shops manage to get it right though!

Foxred10 Thu 06-Mar-14 09:13:15

It's really odd as I thought that j crew and banana republic were part of the same company hmm

Fouette Thu 06-Mar-14 10:15:01

I bought a heap in the US (amazing how much actually fitted me and all in the SAME size - not some pants a size 6 and some a size 10 or whatever) and decided to buy more when home in Aus.

I was ready to spend about $500. When I tried to buy it on the Aus site it was $900.

Almost double the price.

Fuck off J. Crew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now