Talk

Advanced search

Selfridges

(12 Posts)
Crutchlow35 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:29:12

Has anyone been? Is it just a huge amount of vastly expensive clothes and handbags? I am going to the bullring this weekend in birmingham and I understand there is a store there. Coming from rural Scotland, this is a treat!

OneLittleLady Tue 04-Mar-14 17:37:01

I love Selfridges, I always go when I'm near one (we don't have one in the town I live in). I love the make up and perfume counters most as they are the things most affordable for my small budget

Crutchlow35 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:38:10

So there is some affordable stuff then!

OneLittleLady Tue 04-Mar-14 17:39:59

I find the make up/perfume counters most affordable as the bulk of what they stock clothing and handbag wise is pricey designer stuff that's way out of my budget at full price! it is lovely to go and look though, to get ideas of what is going to filter through to the high street

Financeprincess Tue 04-Mar-14 17:49:12

They tend to stock stuff from the top end of the high street (Kurt Geiger etc) upwards. They don't carry as much very high end stuff as Harvey Nics. Expect to find Maje, Sandro, The Kooples, Joseph, Helmut Lang, Tibi, Milly etc.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Tue 04-Mar-14 17:51:41

If you're going to the one in Birmingham then you may find the architecture (...) at least as interesting as the contents.

I'm not sure it has a vast amount of anything - but it's a while since I was last there. The one at the Trafford Centre has Primark departments for men and women.shock You can also find a quieter shopping atmosphere at the Mailbox (Harvey Nichols etc.)

Assuming you are not often in the area (and are craving man-made as opposed to natural beauty) I would minimize Bullring time and hop in a cab to The Barber Institute (here) The clothes will be infinitely lovelier and there are no price tags.

fridgepants Tue 04-Mar-14 18:02:12

The London one has Topshop and Miss Selfridge in their younger fashion section. The Manchester one definitely used to have both.

I don't go that often but when I do I like to test out the perfumes/

cloudskitchen Tue 04-Mar-14 21:23:28

I went to the Oxford Street store tjis weekend and while they have a great range of designer clothes and shoes they also had a primark concession of all things. It looked really nice in there all laid out properly. I bought a top for a tenner grin also some rather more expensive ankle boots.

sleepdodger Wed 05-Mar-14 01:03:43

Birmingham selfridges even has primark shock

ScarletStar Wed 05-Mar-14 01:17:49

I love Selfridges in London, a beautiful building and lovely to wander about in. I bought some win glasses there on my first visit, £8 each. smile

KosherBacon Wed 05-Mar-14 08:18:46

I've been to Birmingham and both manchester ones lately. To be honest I don't like any. I remember when things used to be good quality, rather than flash labels. I need a new nightie and remember when the lingerie departments hand good quality high end makes, now they just have the same as everywhere else, with Agent Provacateur and Elle Macphereson. You used to be able to buy handbags without spending £400+ a go too, without having to buy top shop. It's all labels and logos on everything.

hazelnutlatte Wed 05-Mar-14 10:10:46

Lots of high street brands in the Birmingham store (at least there were last time I went, which was a while ago.) worth going just for a wander round the building, the food hall is nice to look around too. Beauty counters are good, they have brands like kiehls that you probably won't find in many other places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now