Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Interview clothes when you're a bit 'shabby chic'!?

(19 Posts)
rollonthesummer Tue 04-Mar-14 14:46:45

I am thinking of possible clothes for an interview! I am quite casual normally for work-would wear skinny trousers/cords tucked into boots or knee length skirts and little cardigans or Fat Face sort of jersey dresses with tights and boots. I guess I should be a little more smart for an interview though?

If I wore black trousers-do I go for skinny ones with boots over them? My boots are along the Fly London/DM line, so probably nto very smart? Or would bootcuts be better? With what underneath?! I don't really wear heels, so wouldnt be terribly comfortable wearing them.

Help!

froggers1 Tue 04-Mar-14 14:48:51

Are you me? I wear white stuff dresses and fly boots in normal life...do what I did...borrow a suit and wear with your fly boots...blouse underneath...

Clavicle Tue 04-Mar-14 14:49:20

IMHO you need to dress for the job you're going for to increase your success rate. Is it creative or quite office-y? DM's would freak me out as an interviewer unless it was a very creative post confused

flowery Tue 04-Mar-14 14:55:11

I always suggest going one level smarter than people working there wear. So if it's a job where you can wear jeans, you wouldn't actually wear them to an interview. If the dress code in the job is smart casual, you would probably dress smart rather than casual for an interview.

What's the job?

rollonthesummer Tue 04-Mar-14 14:55:34

I'm a Primary School teacher. My school is very laid back, but obviously I can't wear the sort of clothes I normally wear here for an interview!

Borrowing a suit is a good idea-I need to think of someone who owns one who is my size!!

Hopefully Tue 04-Mar-14 15:00:34

Definitely go a degree too smart rather than a degree too casual. How about a dress with a blazer over the top? Dress doesn't need to be majorly formal, maybe a wrap or other style that you might wear again with casual boots, rather than a smart shift? Not a v casual White Stuff type one though, obv...

rollonthesummer Tue 04-Mar-14 15:10:26

boots

It's this type of DMs if that makes any difference! It probably doesn't though!

I have smarter dresses tbh, just no jacket. I don't tend to like jackets as they make me look too broad and boxy in the shoulders. Maybe a smart cardigan? I probably do need some boots or shoes though.

flowery Tue 04-Mar-14 15:23:17

I don't think you need to necessarily go the whole hog and wear a suit, unless perhaps it's a leadership post you're going for and/or the staff are smarter at the school you're applying to.

But you need to ditch the DMs and wear a smarter dress, and yes either a jacket or a cardigan.

higgle Tue 04-Mar-14 15:23:41

I like those boots!

Technical Tue 04-Mar-14 15:24:00

Yes, definitely a suit for a teaching interview

Technical Tue 04-Mar-14 15:26:15

sorry, posted too soon. Our head teacher refused to interview someone once because he wasn't wearing a tie when he came to visit the school before applying...

If you really can't do a suit, a dress and jacket and "proper" shoes

Hopefully Tue 04-Mar-14 15:50:58

No to the boots. You need some cheap court shoes or something - M&S has great cheap heels in nude, black etc.

rollonthesummer Tue 04-Mar-14 16:02:15

proper shoes?

Or are these fugly and I am going to have to buy court shoes that I'll never wear again!!?

Technical Tue 04-Mar-14 18:28:37

I don't think those are interview shoes, sorry.

Buy some classic courts and bring them out for every interview for the next 30 years.

gindrinker Tue 04-Mar-14 21:31:09

I wear jeans and trainers 90% of the time for work.
Meetings I wear trousers or dress and a blazer.
Interview would wear a suit.
Its all about making the right impression

Buy a classic suit and wheel it out every interview.
I've got these m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/high-heel-court-shoes-with-insolia/p/p22246044
They're fine for the 3 occasions a year I wear heels.

fairylightsintheloft Tue 04-Mar-14 22:50:15

I got a decent suit from debenhams for about £60 all in. Just black, pencil skirt, neat jacket. I wore it with a v neck jumper under and smart boots cos it was fucking freezing. I rarely teach in a suit - more he sort of the thing you describe in your OP but I think you need a suit for the interview

Ubik1 Tue 04-Mar-14 22:57:04

iwore this, office job tho

Rosieliveson Tue 04-Mar-14 23:00:20

I've never worn a suit to a primary school interview. Have got 2 out of 3 jobs applied for too.
IMO it's more important to dress for the job rather than dress up. Especially if your spending time teaching as part of your interview too.

I'd go dress, tights and boots. So long as the boots are freshly cleaned and the dress is a decent length and not too cleavagey I think you'd look the part.

Good luck

tethersend Tue 04-Mar-14 23:34:58

Agree that a suit is not strictly necessary for a primary school interview- but for the love of all that is holy, please don't wear the boots. Or those hush puppy shoes.

What about a pair of flat court shoes? Pointed or ballet style would do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now