Talk

Advanced search

If you are early 30s, slim build and mid-level income, where do you shop for clothes?

(23 Posts)
AStyleChallenge Tue 04-Mar-14 14:20:29

Looking for inspiration, maybe a push to try out some new brands I haven't tried before.

So, where do you shop for clothes?

sansucre Tue 04-Mar-14 14:40:17

Before we start, am curious to know what's your definition of a mid-level income?

Or to put it another way, do you have some kind of monthly/yearly budget in mind you have to spend on clothes?

AStyleChallenge Tue 04-Mar-14 14:53:20

I guess mid-level would be something like a teachers salary, not as low as nmw and not as high as a doctor/lawyer. I don't have a budget in mind because I don't have any specific items in mind, just looking for inspiration.

ClaraFox Tue 04-Mar-14 14:55:25

grin Slightly odd opening post

What clothes do you like? I recommend oasis, I quite like fat face. I wear next relaxed skinny jeans and I'm fond of ash trainers.

You'd need to say more about your style

Tawnyfawn Tue 04-Mar-14 14:55:57

Zara, Whistles, Coast, Joules, Warehouse and Oasis.

Hopefully Tue 04-Mar-14 14:59:20

I guess I fall into mid-level income then. I buy very few clothes, but what I do buy is a mix of quite expensive and quite cheap - I tend to shop at NAP and My-Wardrobe, with ASOS/Topshop fillers. Also like Kettlewell and Me & Em for basics. I don't particularly have a bigger clothing budget than most people to get the designer stuff, I just don't actually have very many clothes grin

AStyleChallenge Tue 04-Mar-14 15:31:35

Clara I purposefully didn't include anything about my style because I'm looking for new inspiration. For example, Kettlewell and Me & Em I've never heard of so I can go and have a look and see if I like it. If I tell you what my style is then that might limit what gets suggested.
Never heard of NAP or my-wardrobe either, I have a lot of googling to do grin

fyefoot Tue 04-Mar-14 15:39:54

ASOS, Plumo, COS, And Other Stories, Zara Etsy for vintage. That's me anyway, although I am actually a bit older.

Oxtailchambermaid Tue 04-Mar-14 16:03:48

What about Anthropologie? Their permanent sale page is worth a look - the regular prices are way out of my price bracket. I've picked up some really nice stuff from there these last few months.

TravelinColour Tue 04-Mar-14 16:18:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magic8balls Tue 04-Mar-14 16:21:56

H&M, ASOS, House of Fraser, GAP.

H&M for work clothes, cardigans, tees, etc.
GAP for all jeans and some casual clothes
ASOS for going out gear, occasionally a work top. ASOS have definitely gone down hill - I used to mainly shop online with them and now the clothing quality is worse and I rarely use it.
House of Fraser for Uttam Boutique, Mango, Oasis, other favourite brands where the shops aren't in our local city.

notwoo Tue 04-Mar-14 16:23:50

warehouse, gap, asos, jcrew

sansucre Tue 04-Mar-14 16:30:43

Like others have said, it's more a question of what you like, what kind of style you have and how much you want to spend.

Additionally, if there anything you don't like as this can narrow down options.
I hate synthetic or man-made fabrics and don't buy anything made from these, so that cuts out a lot of the cheaper end of the high street. Plus, I'd rather spend more on something made well and something that's more classic than trendy, so I budget accordingly and buy one really nice thing a month and several cheaper things.

Personally I'd suggest you start with fashion magazines, blogs and Pinterest, as it will give you a lot more ideas rather than us giving you a list of shops.

Net a Porter, Matches, My Wardrobe and the Outnet are great for outfit inspiration too.

Once you pinpoint some things you like, then we might know where to send you!

cocoblu Tue 04-Mar-14 16:38:57

I fit the same profile as you and shop at H&M, New look and Topshop (selectively), uniqlo and Gap but do mix in more pricey stuff if I really like it, whistles, jaegar, zoe karssen,
I also use some us sites that ship to the uk, modcloth.com, revolve clothing and 80s purple are all good.

AStyleChallenge Tue 04-Mar-14 18:57:33

Thanks for those ideas, some of those I shop at but others I've never ventured into and some I've never heard of. I'm going to spend some time looking at their websites and see if I can get some new style inspiration.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 04-Mar-14 19:03:17

Fat face
White stuff
Joules

Vest tops I get from h&m

I do get some white stuff and Joules in our local outlet centre though but I find they are fairly timeless. Would pay full price but no point if you can get it cheaper. I could live in fat face. Smart stuff for work I go to monsoon and sometimes m&s.

vichill Tue 04-Mar-14 19:10:30

title does sound a bit odd.I'm slim, never been on a high street, have a good job, where shall I spend my money?!

joules,great plains and boden are good and have great sales.

GinnelsandWhippets Tue 04-Mar-14 19:24:58

Massimo Dutti. If I were a slimmer, flatter-chested version of me I'd buy all my clothes there.

callamia Tue 04-Mar-14 19:39:01

and other stories, cos, Hobbs (for dresses), French connection and gap for basics.

AStyleChallenge Tue 04-Mar-14 20:00:57

Ginnel Maybe I should try there then! I'm depressingly flat chested! I've walked past M Dutti but never been in, maybe I'll give it a go if it will suit my shape.

TheJumped Tue 04-Mar-14 20:25:34

Depends so much on your lifestyle / job / if you're running around after small children really. I like comfortable clothes that wash well and feel / look quality, whilst being a bit young / fashionable / edgy, but overall classic confused

So weekends is Diesel or J Brand jeans, or Primark jeans, and tops from M and S, Zara, Uniqlo, New Look or the occasional online purchase from somewhere like Outnet or Atterley Road (both boutiques selling a range of brands, well worth a look to find brands you like). Work days - dresses from Hobbs, Cos, Laura Ashley, Me and Em. I also like Gap though don't seem to have bought much from there recently, also J Crew and Banana Republic. Quality is just increasingly important to me as I get older, and I wouldn't spend £££ on eg a Vince or Splendid jersey top that will only last a few months - I try on and really consider the quality of tees and similar, and mostly end up getting them from H and M or New Look. I believe in choosing carefully where you spend your money - so for me, jeans and handbags (and sometimes scarves and jewellery) will be £££ and tops will be £ smile even knitwear doesn't last forever so this yr my most worn were Uniqlo and Sainsburys jumpers.

GinnelsandWhippets Tue 04-Mar-14 21:30:49

Yes Massimo Dutti does clothes that suit a straight-up-and-down sort of shape. Lots of lovely fabrics, very classic styles and not as expensive as you might think. I get lots of knits from there - cashmere/cotton/silk mix jumpers are around 30-50 quid and wear and wash beautifully. If only I were thinner!

gindrinker Tue 04-Mar-14 21:38:45

Zara, miss Selfridge (selective), warehouse, supermarkets - my favourite day/ work dress came from tesco and ive just bought this www.clothingattesco.com/dresses/f+f-belted-denim-shirt-dress/invt/jk411082
New look and river island.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now