Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear if you don't wear skinny jeans?

(16 Posts)
CeliaFate Tue 04-Mar-14 09:11:43

I need an outfit for a meal out at a local restaurant. It's not fancy, but

not casual either.

Every time I look for inspiration, it's always "skinny jeans and a nice

top".

I don't like skinny jeans on me. They don't suit me and I don't feel

comfortable, but I can't find a smart, fashionable alternative that's

within budget (£50 ish, but would stretch if the outfit was perfect).

Help!

curiousgeorgie Tue 04-Mar-14 09:14:23

I usually do leggings with a dress / nice top and boots.

emsyj Tue 04-Mar-14 09:15:47

How about a jumpsuit?

I keep picking up this one in Debenhams too, but suspect I'm too old to get away with it.

CeliaFate Tue 04-Mar-14 09:16:19

I do too, but that's my work "uniform" (I'm a teacher) so I wanted something different but as comfortable.
BTW, I'm early 40s, size 12 if it helps.

CeliaFate Tue 04-Mar-14 09:17:20

I love that jumpsuit! I fear though that I'm too old for it too (having worn jumpsuits the first time round in the 80s grin)

bigTillyMint Tue 04-Mar-14 09:19:44

That black jumpsuit is really nice - I would wear it and I'm nearly 50!

emsyj Tue 04-Mar-14 09:22:35

I vote you go with the jumpsuit wink. There are loads of them around, those are just two I happen to have seen and like. I had a super cool yellow jumpsuit with crayons printed on it when I was a kid - so it's second time around for me too.

I've just bought some 'superskinny trousers' from Dorothy Perkins, which are a non-denim alternative to skinny jeans... They were only £20 and they are quite flattering I think. I guess it depends what your objections are to skinny jeans whether they might be a good alternative. here

Catswiththumbs Tue 04-Mar-14 09:22:53

Cigarette pants. Or wide leg trousers. Or straight cut jeans.

Or a dress/skirt?

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 04-Mar-14 09:24:08

Skirt and boots, if leggings are no go.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 04-Mar-14 09:24:31

Or better, dress and boots.

CeliaFate Tue 04-Mar-14 09:25:30

I think I'll take a chance on the black jumpsuit.
My problem with skinny jeans is the legs - they feel too restrictive. I do have a pair and they hide my muffin top (high waist ones from New Look), but whenever I wear them it's like wearing Spanx; I can't wait to get home and peel them off and go aaaaaahhh and put on some tracky bots.

CeliaFate Tue 04-Mar-14 09:28:11

I've just thought of a potential problem with a jumpsuit after drinking too much wine - going for a wee!

emsyj Tue 04-Mar-14 09:28:51

Oh well do try on the Dorothy Perkins trousers then - they are just stretch all over, a bit like a stiffer version of leggings Iyswim?? I bought some of the new Look high waisted skinnies on Saturday (not worn them yet) and they are very stiff and restrictive compared with some others that I have got... I am hoping they will suck in my mum tum.

I want that jumpsuit too but cannot justify buying another jumpsuit.

emsyj Tue 04-Mar-14 09:30:27

Yes, going for a wee is a bit of an ordeal... But I love the jumpsuit look, and when you're not going for a wee they're really comfortable and you don't have to worry about waistbands or emerging muffin top! grin

winterhat Tue 04-Mar-14 10:01:29

I might wear a denim skirt instead of jeans.

whereisshe Tue 04-Mar-14 10:35:23

cropped trousers with a jacket?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now