Talk

Advanced search

Royal Garden Party...help!

(16 Posts)
AmethystMoon Tue 04-Mar-14 08:06:56

We have been invited to a Royal Garden Party in a few months time and I have no idea what to wear. Has anyone else been to one and if so what sort of outfit is required? I am excited at the excuse for a new outfit but do not have loads of money to throw at this. I guess it is going to be a hat occasion? Coat? I can hardly rock up in a cardi can I? All help gratefully received smile

JeanSeberg Tue 04-Mar-14 08:13:15

Treat it as a day at the races (in one of the more formal enclosures) or a wedding.

So definitely hat and all the works although you will find other people dressed a lot less formally.

Hopefully it's in summer and will be a bit warmer.

winklewoman Tue 04-Mar-14 09:39:44

Definitely a hat, and a proper one not a 'fascinator'. Nice if your OH can hire a morning suit, plenty of people don't but it makes you feel the part. I got an outfit in the Jaques Vert sale , complete with shoes bag and hat, yes I know not exactly on the MN approved list but was just the job for the occasion and has done duty at nephew's wedding since.

When we went, all our friends assumed it was DH who was the invitee, (bigger job) I kept insisting ' No it's ME whom the Queen wants there, I'm just taking him along'

You will have a lovely time. Top tip - to beat the massive entry queues use the entrance at the back of the gardens, far fewer people. You won't get the nice sensation of strolling across BP forecourt, but you can go out the front way and savour it then.

AmethystMoon Tue 04-Mar-14 17:08:30

Thank you for the steer, so wedding like it is smile
Also great tip about the entrance winkle I will tell DP!
Right, now to start thinking in more detail. Dress and jacket? I am worried I will end up too matchy matchy or is that what I should aim for?

watfordmummy Tue 04-Mar-14 17:15:10

And remember wedge shoes not heels - as it's a garden party! (Been twice x)

Crutchlow35 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:25:39

Or get the grass high heel protectors if you don't want to wear wedges.

Northernlurker Tue 04-Mar-14 17:32:52

How exciting! Here's the Duchess of Cambridge at one. Looks pretty matching to me. Whilst she's in heels I think the woman next to her has wedges and somebody else has flats.

More shoes and outfits here.

Laststop Tue 04-Mar-14 17:33:24

I went and it was so hot was in a dress with cropped blazer which wasn't on for long so make sure the dress is ok without jacket and would 2nd wedges the grass is a nightmare to walk on

AmethystMoon Tue 04-Mar-14 19:01:23

Oh good grief yes, wedges! I hadn't even thought about the grass and heels issue.blush
Thanks for those links Northern, it is very wedding like...and very crowded too!
I want to know how the Duchess isn't sinking into the grass in her heels in both photos?
I think I'd like a dress but hate my upper arms (bumpy pimples) so maybe sleeves to mid upper arm?
Also need a jacket as we are off to dinner afterwards with another couple that we are attending with; might as well milk the occasion and get more use out of my nice new dress. Although I might need to lose the hat for the evening!

Catrin Tue 04-Mar-14 19:04:47

Nothing constructive to add re clothes, but bumpy pimples however...! Exfoliate and moisturise daily. Religiously, daily. It does work but you cannot have a week off!

LIZS Tue 04-Mar-14 19:05:08

treat is as a posh wedding . When my parents went there were dress code guidelines with the invitation about length of skirt, shoulder straps etc

AmethystMoon Tue 04-Mar-14 20:37:08

Catrin I assume you are speaking from experience with the bumps, if so what did you use to exfoliate? I am never sure if I am using something too gentle or too rough blush

I think we get the invite six weeks before, so I will look out for the dress code. I might start to have a browse before then though smile

AmethystMoon Tue 04-Mar-14 20:58:08

I have just had a browse at Coast, Phase Eight, Jigsaw and Jacques Vert as recommended up thread. My mind is now blank, where sells these posh garden party type outfits?
I am mildly panicking and it months away.
All suggestions very welcome.
I am size 12, pretty balanced top and bottom, defined waist, reasonable boobs, definitely have hips! Help!

Catrin Tue 04-Mar-14 21:55:19

Re the bumps... the proper name is keratosis pilaris I think. Mine are much worse in winter when I wear thicker warmer clothes. Central heating dries me out too, so seems to exacerbate them. I use a loofah mitt thing and scrub, plus a general body scrub. Then lots of body lotion. If I am rubbish and get lazy, they are vile within a week or 2, but 2-3 weeks of being Very Very Good and doing it daily, I have arm skin that is actually nice.

Matsikula Tue 04-Mar-14 22:17:48

I was a bit more casual - Panama hat with big cream coloured silk rose pinned to the band, cream and black wrap crepe dress, linen jacket - wedding ish but I also had to go to work that morning in the same outfit and would have felt silly going over the top. I fitted in fine. The food is good so the right shoes are essential if you don't want to topple over in the race for the sandwiches. And the herbaceous borders are beautiful (feel like my mum saying that). Don't recall seeing anyone in a morning suit, so don't inflict that on a male guest!

winklewoman Tue 04-Mar-14 22:47:39

Matsi there were loads of morning suits when we were there, DH would have been mortified if he had been in a tiny minority wearing one. Mind you, if Amethyst and her DH are going on to dinner afterwards, maybe not such a good idea. Yes, the herbaceous borders are spectacular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now