Talk

Advanced search

Basic short strappy dresses

(7 Posts)
catsofa Tue 04-Mar-14 03:31:42

Sorry if in wrong place, wasn't sure where to put it:

For exercise especially cycling I like to wear sports leggings as they wick sweat well, don't chafe, feel comfy and don't get in the way.

Rather than tops I like to wear short strappy dresses over the leggings as they also wick ok if polyester/modal/silk etc, are cool enough to get hot in, and crucially they cover my leggings-encased bum so you can't see my flabby arse sticking out round my lovely VPL blush.

I'm struggling to find any basic, thigh-length strappy dresses, can anyone point me at any?

Is there such a thing as a sports dress? Can't be white like tennis ones as it'll get bits of bike grease on it occasionally, and I really don't want a tennis style dress with a high neckline as I'll get too hot - I can wear a top over it if I want sleeves or a high neck, I just want the bum cover really. Skirts no good as they ride up and are too restrictive round the waist.

Would ideally like silk and have had a couple of dresses off ebay in silk which is perfect sportswear, but most in silk are too dressy and just feel a bit silly getting sweaty in with big bows at the front and that sort of thing. Stretch is great but jersey material I think will get weird dents in it from the nose of the bike saddle so probably best avoided.

No racer backs or crossover straps as I need to wear a bra. "Pencil" skirt is too restrictive for cycling, needs to be sort of A-line shaped skirt.

Pics are the sort of shape I'm after. Anyone find any that fit the bill?

LordPalmerston Tue 04-Mar-14 04:19:17

This sounds nuts. Just get a sports top fgs

LordPalmerston Tue 04-Mar-14 04:23:25

Go to h and m online and get a sports shirt. They wick. You must look like crazy woman in a Dress

I have this. It's on the bum. Plus it's huge m.hm.com/gb/product/21900?article=21900-A#mediaType=FASHION_FRONT

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 04-Mar-14 08:53:17

I think you would be able to get the type of dress that people wear obver a swimsuit for modesty. I bought a load in M&S last year. They were about �10 each I think. Loose, scoop neck, sleeveless, built up straps rather than spaghetti straps, jersey type material, a bit swishy. You may need to shorten them as they come down to just above my knee (though I am only 5 foot 1 inch tall).

FauxFox Tue 04-Mar-14 11:41:36

longline vest here or here

or what about getting an oversize men's sport vest? they would prob come up long enough?

catsofa Tue 04-Mar-14 13:56:24

Why is a dress crazy? Isn't everyone on here always complaining about the sight of other women's bums in leggings? Waiting on a bike at traffic lights at the front of the queue must put my bum more or less directly in front of the car driver behind me for several minutes, why wouldn't I want to cover it up?

Also cycling isn't always "sport", often it's just transport to somewhere else so I don't want to look particularly sporty when I get there anyway.

Thanks for the Wiggle tops, those are much longer than any I've seen before and might just do the bum cover, I'll see if I can find somewhere to try one on.

Also swimming/beach dresses are a good idea, maybe that's what to type into ebay. Any sort of length above the knee would be fine for cycling I think.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 04-Mar-14 16:10:08

Wear a tennis skirt (they come in black) over leggings, then a normal sports vest/top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now