Talk

Advanced search

Where to look for a dress for a traditional, black tie dinner

(13 Posts)
dottygamekeeper Tue 04-Mar-14 00:01:48

Help - I have to attend a black tie dinner, in the City, at a Livery Company. Dress code for ladies is knee length dress with no bare shoulders. I am (just!) 50, 5' 10, size 12/14, with silvery grey hair. I would prefer the dress to have sleeves, ideally just above elbow or 3/4 length and preferably a scoop/round neck, although V neck would be OK. I find black no longer suits my hair and skin colour - any suggestions for alternatives? I have Wednesday afternoon in central London to shop...

RonaldMcDonald Tue 04-Mar-14 00:48:46

Could you rock bright yellow?

RonaldMcDonald Tue 04-Mar-14 00:59:09

you might find this deeply dull but I have one of these issa dresses and they are insanely flattering in the right circs

RonaldMcDonald Tue 04-Mar-14 01:16:17

love a bit of rose Pucci

furstenberg

love this

love this

Bearleigh Tue 04-Mar-14 04:36:46

Dotty I would go to Fenwicks: it is a shop for real people who are grown up, so you might find what you want there, and if not Liberty are close by and not as wacky as they used to be so might have what you're after.

burnishedsilver Tue 04-Mar-14 08:00:12

Designer or high st?

winterhat Tue 04-Mar-14 10:02:07

Monsoon

Blue lace dress

Edana embellished dress

Rosetta ponte dress

Layla lace dress

FauxFox Tue 04-Mar-14 11:30:25

Love this comes in purple/navy or black.
or
lace in green or navy?

Twinklestein Tue 04-Mar-14 11:42:46

I would start at Matches, walk to Selfridges, then walk down South Molton Street to LK Bennett & onto Fenwicks on New Bond Street.

dottygamekeeper Wed 05-Mar-14 00:23:51

Thank you for all the suggestions, I think I am more high street than designer price wise, but if I fall in love with a perfect dress I am prepared to pay a bit more, as the older I get, the more I appreciate quality!

Winterhat - I was considering the first Monsoon lace dress you linked to - I will have a look tomorrow. Have been worried by on line reviews about quality of Monsoon stuff lately.

Twinkelstein and Bearleigh, I think you have a good plan, I have meetings in the morning in Piccadilly, so will head up to Bond Street/Fenwicks and on from there. I had forgotten about Liberty, have been meaning to pay their dress department a visit for a while. Where is Matches?

FauxFox - I am really loving the purple dress, Westfield have it in stock so if I have time I will nip over there.

RonaldMcDonald Wed 05-Mar-14 00:36:55

hey dotty
I guess none of my suggestions were any good
good luck with finding the right thing

dottygamekeeper Wed 05-Mar-14 00:45:51

Ronald - sorry for missing you out, I did like the Issa dress, but am worried that it looks very low cut. Your other suggestions were probably a little over budget (and may be a bit too edgy? - am based in Suffolk, so designer fashion is not my natural habitat!)

RonaldMcDonald Wed 05-Mar-14 00:49:24

my mother has often claimed that if my taste were in my mouth it would poison me
i flounce off

the issa is very useful but you are right about the v neck

get the yellow!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now