Talk

Advanced search

Primer, sunscreen, tinted moisturiser: can I use all 3 at same time? In what order?

(13 Posts)
Ktay Mon 03-Mar-14 19:30:11

As above really... My tinted moisturiser has an SPF but want to beef up the protection a bit with a facial sunscreen. Currently using elemis radiance flash balm + a no 7 tinted moisturiser (will be back on the Laura mercier when my birthday comes around...).

muser31 Mon 03-Mar-14 19:31:47

i think primer, tinted moist then sunscreen

Ktay Mon 03-Mar-14 19:34:14

Ooh thanks. Can the sunscreen get where it needs to through all the other gunk tho? <<clueless>>

FrugalFashionista Mon 03-Mar-14 19:35:28

Simplify your life and use tinted sunscreen...

Ktay Mon 03-Mar-14 19:37:13

Thanks - do you know any good ones? I have memories of a friend spending a skiing hol looking v orange when he bought one in error grin Also I'm happy with the Laura mercier.

Ktay Mon 03-Mar-14 19:37:58

Although I'm all for simplifying my life where I can!

FrugalFashionista Mon 03-Mar-14 19:46:50

I like Anthelios tinted but have to mix it 50/50 with untinted to get a paler shade because I'm ghostly pale and prefer to stay that way (jars from Muji - you can make enough for the entire season in one go - and I use a spatula for hygiene). These days though I use a fluid sunscreen under mineral makeup and that's probably the best routine I've tried yet.

Ktay Mon 03-Mar-14 19:56:57

Ah ok thanks will look it up, didn't realise they did one. Am quite set in my ways though!

Whitetara Mon 03-Mar-14 22:02:26

I'd put the sunscreen first after skincare, to protect the skin, as that's where I'd consider skincare to finish. I'd apply primer next to prepare the skin for the base (be it foundation of tinted moisturiser) and to form a surface for it to adhere to (this is where I'd think of the make up part of the routine starting), and then finally I'd apply the tinted moisturiser as the make up/base.

Looks like the Elemis is a moisturiser and primer in one, but I think if you're TM has an SPF then I'm not sure I'd bother adding another sunscreen, but if you do want to, put it over the Elemis, then add your your TM.

Ktay Mon 03-Mar-14 22:09:13

Thanks whitetara, I'm not sure what the elemis claims to do tbh, I just liked the results when I got a freebie with a magazine once! I'm a bit slapdash with the tinted moisturiser so want to be sure I'm covering all the key areas.

Whitetara Mon 03-Mar-14 23:10:47

If you're using sunscreen just make sure it covers the UVA as well as UVB and is a decent spf. I'm using this just now, but plan to switch to this when it's finished.
Have you looked at Caroline Hirons' blog? She has quite a lot of info on layering skincare, as has Sali Hughes.

muser31 Tue 04-Mar-14 06:42:18

reason i said sunscreen last was because i thought sunscreen had harsh chemicals in it i wouldn't want right next to the skin - prepared to be told this is wrong though!

Ktay Wed 05-Mar-14 21:05:04

Thanks, just using the ambre Solaire sensitive facial cheapie for now but will bear those in mind for bday list. Will check out those blogs too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now