Talk

Advanced search

covering up red hair?

(18 Posts)
Vickiyumyum Mon 03-Mar-14 14:27:37

I dyed my hair red similar to this, it had faded quite badly and my few greys needed covering. I didn't want red again, so decided to go back to my natural mousey/light brown. Its not really worked though, its still very red.

How do I get rid of the red and back to natural colour, ready for highlighting again?

I can't really afford a hairdresser at the moment, or the hours and hours sat in the chair.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Mar-14 14:31:30

it is very hard to get rid of red - have you tried one of those dye removers e.g. ColourB4 to see if that helps? It's either that or you have to go darker

Vickiyumyum Mon 03-Mar-14 14:39:59

I was just reading the reviews on superdrug.com for the colour removers. think I will have to do that and then go brown on top, but with no red tones. I'd look like a ghost if I went too ark, as very pale skinned.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Mar-14 14:48:39

ash colours are supposed to tone down reds if you still have orange tones after using the dye remover

mrs14 Mon 03-Mar-14 15:00:03

So glad you posted this. My daughter has decided to go back to school after along time being home schooled. Her hair is the same colour as yours and just dyed it back to it normal colour of light brown and the red is still there. We are going to look round a school on Thursday and it needs to be as quoted in the prospectus a natural colour by then. Starting to get a bit desperate!

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Mar-14 15:03:38

try an ash blonde/light ash brown to see if that helps

PassNoRemark Mon 03-Mar-14 15:52:52

Head and shoulders is what my colourist recommends to strip colour - not sure how fast it works but then you may be able to re colour a diff shade.

Vickiyumyum Mon 03-Mar-14 20:07:53

Head and shoulders doesn't work. I think it must be more gentle these days but I use it most times I wash my hair and it hadn't stripped it out.

I've ordered the superdrug own brand colour stripper and an ash brown dye for after. I looked in the local superdrug but they didn't have it.

Thanks everyone. I'll report back and good luck to your daughter mrs14

2kidsintow Mon 03-Mar-14 20:09:55

Interested to hear whether the colour stripping stuff works. I've dyed my hair dark reddish-brown and it's too dark for me now. And the greys show up straight away.

mrs14 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:41:16

Just bought some extra strong colour remover from home bargains for 2.99 if that helps anyone. Using it on my daughter tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

Catswiththumbs Tue 04-Mar-14 02:20:58

I dyed my hair bright orange (or mango or whatever they called it) and just bleached it out again.
All done at home, no damage, no fuss smile
I'm sure you could put an ash blonde over pretty much soon as if that's what you wanted. Or just use a purple toner if it's a little brassy.

HaveAGoodDay Tue 04-Mar-14 12:18:43

Just be careful of the colour you use after using the colour remover - make sure it's not a permanent colour and too dark a shade. It may result in a darker colour than what you want! Your better of choosing a light ash brown semi permanent, one that gradually washes out. Nice & easy do these.

Another way to remove colour is the Vitamin C & Shampoo mix. Google it.

Vickiyumyum Tue 04-Mar-14 12:39:52

ah thanks for the tip, haveagoodday. I had ordered permanent, I will buy a semi instead. I intend to leave 2 or 3 days in-between but a bit apprehensive about what colour I will be left with. I can't do it until Saturday as won't have the time.

Charlilouise Wed 05-Mar-14 19:33:39

The colour removers are brilliant.
I sue my hair black, and in the past when I have wanted a change I have brought the colour b4 extra strength and it strips the colour right out.
The only downside is it leaves a nasty smell to your hair for a while after when it's wet!

Charlilouise Wed 05-Mar-14 19:33:58

That's supposed to by dye not sue

bonzo77 Wed 05-Mar-14 19:58:16

Don't use anything with peroxide in after stripping, at least not for a week. The peroxide will reactivate any left over pigment and you may end up very dark or red again. If you need to colour it straight away use a level 1 / temporary / wash-in-wash-out / one part colour. Probably in an ash / cool shade if you still have warmth (red) in your hair. Beware: ash on top of blonde gives green!

CockBollocks Wed 05-Mar-14 22:16:05

I have used colour b4 when getting rid of red. You can dye immediately with a non mix dye to tide you over until you can use a more permanent.

Beware it will go a scary orange. Mine also needed regular conditioning treatments.

I will never go red again, it took forever to get rid.

2kidsintow Wed 05-Mar-14 22:21:20

I did mine today with the colour before stuff.
This is pretty much the colour it came out with - but with inch long WHITE roots (not grey).

I'd read the instructions and put a temporary dark ash blonde on straight away. It's gone a bit darker than it showed on the box but the colour before stuff did warn that your hair can go darker as it can be more porous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now