Talk

Advanced search

Oscar's fashion

(115 Posts)
Whitershadeofpale Mon 03-Mar-14 07:52:10

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2571620/Kelly-Osbourne-Giuliana-Rancic-Ireland-Baldwins-spirits-not-dampened-arrive-wet-carpet-drizzly-Oscars-fairytale-gowns.html

What do we think of this year's dresses? I love Jennifer Lawrence, Lupita Nyong'o and Kelly Osbourne.

I quite like Cate Blanchett and Amy Adams.

I don't like Angelina Jolie's I think it's boring and a bit frumpy. Also Penelope Cruz usually looks great but I found her dress this year unflattering.

Feel free somebody to add a non daily mail link.

Whitershadeofpale Mon 03-Mar-14 08:03:15

There's some pictures from Elton John's party here. Most of them are pretty awful, too tight, too low cut and in some cases too skinny.

Petra Nemcova's and Nikki Reed's are the best of a bad bunch IMO.

Matsikula Mon 03-Mar-14 09:11:15

The actual Oscars - all rather disappointingly tasteful. Elton John's party - horrorfest!

SnowBells Mon 03-Mar-14 09:12:49

I think I agree with you. Like Jennifer Lawrence's and Lupita Nyong's dress. Cate B's looks fabulous, and the color of Amy Adam's dress is fabulous.

Angelina Jolie's is a bit "Mother of the Bride". Not sure what to make of that, but you can't quite expect people to stay young forever...

Whitershadeofpale Mon 03-Mar-14 09:26:49

I think Cate pulls off a nude dress beautifully but so many others just look meh, I think Amy Adam's needed a great necklace to finish the whole look off.

MarshaBrady Mon 03-Mar-14 09:29:36

Some one needs to rethink Jennifer Lawrence's stiff hair. Love the tomato red.

Lupita looks amazing. Wonder who her stylist is, they both keep getting it right.

The after show dresses are mostly bad.

FauxFox Mon 03-Mar-14 09:29:41

Oh I started another thread as I didn't see this one… My favourites were Kelly Osbourne's white dress with the gold lace over the shoulders, Jennifer Lawrence was stunning in orange and Sandra Bullock looked gorgeous in dark blue.

Worst were imo Kristen Bell - the skirt looked like wet screwed up loo paper, Julia Roberts - lace monstrosity and Meryl Streep was wearing a very unflattering sack-like thing.

Whitershadeofpale Mon 03-Mar-14 09:35:12

Meryl Streep never really gets it right, she always looks like she's just draped and pinned some random fabric.

DreamingAlice Mon 03-Mar-14 09:37:05

I thought a lot of the dresses were pretty boring to be honest. But I loved Lupita's entire look. I normally don't care for that shade of blue but the colour of her dress totally worked for her- it was so, so pretty and made her stand out without trying to hard.

WillieWaggledagger Mon 03-Mar-14 09:38:31

love Lupita Nyong'o and cate blanchett and emma watson

wanted to hoik the shoulders up on julia roberts' dress

lots of men wearing stacked heels...

TheBookofRuth Mon 03-Mar-14 09:38:52

I thought Lupita looked absolutely stunning, and I quite liked Anne Hathaway's dress - I rather liked the breastplate. I thought the rest were entirely meh, and I wish pale skinned women would stop wearing pale coloured dresses. I don't care how beautiful you are, it makes you look washed out.

TheBookofRuth Mon 03-Mar-14 09:39:38

Oh, Emma Watson's look was too old for her, and she's got very thin and fragile looking.

Whitershadeofpale Mon 03-Mar-14 09:43:45

Totally agree Ruth, Jessica Biel is a classic example of this. I though Jennifer Garner pulled it off though.

FauxFox Mon 03-Mar-14 09:44:24

I hate all the nude dresses too thebook so bland and make everyone look ill. Also strapless dresses that squash the boobs too much - Heidi Klum at the after party looked ghastly! Why not just wear a dress that fits?!

mrsnec Mon 03-Mar-14 09:44:43

I thought Gaga looked good too but wasn't someone else wearing similar?

Whitershadeofpale Mon 03-Mar-14 09:46:24

I thought Gaga's dress looked like it needed hoiking up.

burnishedsilver Mon 03-Mar-14 09:47:34

It was all a bit bland.

Matthew McConnaugheys mother is a beautiful woman but a perfect example of why most women keep the skirt lengths a little longer as they age.

Lupitas face and hair look fabulous. Her body is too athletic for the plunging neckline. She looks like a man from the neck town.

I haven't seen anything yet that I thought was amazing.

TheSmallPrint Mon 03-Mar-14 09:47:42

I think Sandra Bullocks dress was beautiful.

There was a lot of very pale colours which aren't always the most flattering.

FauxFox Mon 03-Mar-14 09:48:06

I didn't like Jennifer Garners dress - reminded me of a home base lampshade grin Hate the way nude tones often just look grubby too, especially in tulle type fabrics, dishcloth colour, why???

FauxFox Mon 03-Mar-14 09:50:34

Matthew McConnaugheys mother looked ghastly too - why did nobody tell her?? Too short, too shiny, peephole to wrinkly chest, revolting shoes, poor woman...

FauxFox Mon 03-Mar-14 09:56:23

Pregnant Olivia Wilde looked stunning in black and white, pregnant Elsa Pataky didn't in green lace.

Roussette Mon 03-Mar-14 09:57:34

I thought Jennifer Lawrence looked fab and I actually loved her hair. But it comes to something when Lady Gaga is looking more subdued than anyone else! (liked what she had on too)
There was too much in the way of facelifts and so obvious botox around, goodness me Sharon Osbourne and Donatella Versace together - enough to give me nightmares, their faces look like shiny candlewax. And as for Gordon Ramsay - what is the man thinking? He looks like a different person.
<< now off to apply the anti wrinkle cream in copious amounts >>

ListenToTheLady Mon 03-Mar-14 09:58:36

I totally didn't realise it was the oscars until the news this morning! Doh.

I have yet to have a really good look at all the frocks but just checked out the DM link. Hmm not that stunning this year methinks.

Blanchett LOVE it, looks like it's covered in lightbulbs (in a good way!)

Hawkins This is not working for her, she's too petite, looks like she's wearing armour.

Jolie looks about 65 in this dress.

Nyong'o Absolutely gorgeous, I would never have picked this colour for her in a million years, but she looks amazing. Love her hair and jewellery too.

Jennifer Lawrence Meh to the dress but love the colour. A fluffy, princessy dress in this colour would have been great on her.

Cruz OMG no, not keen! Looks like she has run off with the toilet roll and fallen down the stairs.

ListenToTheLady Mon 03-Mar-14 10:00:32

OMG that green lace maternity number is a shocker. Makes her pg bump look like a bag of shopping!

Whitershadeofpale Mon 03-Mar-14 10:04:01

Rousette talking of facelifts, did you see Kim Novak? Such a shame, I watched Vertigo yesterday and she's unrecognisable.

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2571886/Academy-Awards-2014-What-happened-Kim-Novaks-face-Actress-81-shocks-Oscars-audience-youthful-looks.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now