Talk

Advanced search

Best brand for an 11 y old girl (clothes)

(14 Posts)
Glenshee Sun 02-Mar-14 22:28:34

I want to buy gift vouchers for my niece who will be 11 soon.

What do you think is the best brand for this age?

She is not extravagant or overly boyish or otherwise unusual. She likes sports, music, and mostly wears casual clothes.

I was thinking along the lines of Boden, Gap or H&M. Your thoughts?

SauceForTheGander Sun 02-Mar-14 22:29:27

I'd opt for Johnnie B range in Boden

Vibrissa Mon 03-Mar-14 00:14:50

Zara might be ok, though I haven't bought anything personally from there.

Otherwise agree with Boden, Mini (goes up to 11-12) or Johnnie B

exexpat Mon 03-Mar-14 00:20:49

I'd go with H&M or Gap - Boden sizing and styles only suit some people, and their clothes are much more expensive so she'd get less value for the same voucher amount.

DD is 11 but is already wearing adult sizes, so H&M or Gap give her a lot of variety and options; adult-sized Boden things would really be far too middle-aged for her.

Also I think for a girl that age a lot of the fun is in going out and browsing and trying stuff on, which you don't get with something purely catalogue based like Boden.

Verycold Mon 03-Mar-14 00:23:23

H & M. Nobody likes Gap, my dd tells me, and agree with what others said about Boden.

Vibrissa Mon 03-Mar-14 00:31:22

Has Gap gone off a bit? The quality didn't seem quite as good as I remembered and it reminded me of Next.

lechers Mon 03-Mar-14 01:30:51

My sporty 10 year old DD and many of her friends like pineapple clothes. You can buy them in Debenhams.

mysteryfairy Mon 03-Mar-14 07:48:51

Hollister, Jack Wills, Abercrombie and maybe Superdry are the labels tweens still aspire to round here.

They've also embraced Pink since Victoria's secret arrived in the UK.

There is also a 9-15 range in New Look that seems acceptable at a pinch.

H&M, Boden etc are the sorts of places Mum buys your basics so that you can have a meltdown about how uncool they are.

Marylou2 Mon 03-Mar-14 08:18:36

Johnnie B from Boden.

Nocomet Mon 03-Mar-14 08:25:13

Depends on budget and size of the child.

An average size 11/12y will find stuff in Primark-Super Dry/ Jack Willis, stopping off at H&M, River Island (teen and adult), Newlook (9-15 and adult), oap and Dotty p's if your lucky and miss selfridge if your not for a party dress.

Side forays into Debenhams Pineapple and red herring have occured. M&S jeans are, oddly my fashionable ones favorites, their kids leggings are reasonable.

Next do the best range of shorts and trousers in skinny, normal and plus and their sizing is very reliable, so unlike H&M you can use tbe Web.

Nocomet Mon 03-Mar-14 08:27:07

Gap not oap

BreakOutTheKaraoke Mon 03-Mar-14 08:35:09

Zara and River Island here for my 10 year old, with the odd tshirt from H&M. Primark for the skinny jeans.

Gap and Boden/Johnnie B are a no-no. Next is pretty much out, we get denim shorts there for summer and thats about it. New Look 915 we find is very slim fitting sizing, and too grown up for what I'll let her wear- lots of croptops and mini skirts.

Nocomet Mon 03-Mar-14 08:36:09

Honestly OP cold hard cash is far better than vouchers.

As I said above the DDs use all sorts of places and because they use adult and children's sizes prices vary widly.

In the children's department a £20 voucher produces change (which is awkward to spend) in the adult department it needs topping up.

Real money is vastly better, I have never ever met a teen who doesn't like the folding stuff or a teens mum who would rather not have to worry about wasting small change or topping vouchers.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 03-Mar-14 08:37:15

Primark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now