Talk

Advanced search

Smart but alternative summer dresses

(35 Posts)
GeekLove Sun 02-Mar-14 22:10:35

I will be of to sunny Mexico to an engineering conference and would like a smart but 'alternative' summer dress as I am presenting a paper there. Does anyone know good online retailers with fast delivery?
I am looking for something which is summery but with a bit of rocky/vintage styling?

Thanks in advance

frankietwospots Mon 03-Mar-14 09:28:55

When are you going? I might be way off the mark here but how about this vintage style dress in Blue Riviera?
www.bodenpreview.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Day-Dresses/WH640-LBL/Womens-Blue-Riviera-Nancy-Dress.html

Damnautocorrect Mon 03-Mar-14 09:47:12

Joy louche have some beautiful things

FauxFox Mon 03-Mar-14 10:27:26

red
pink
navy wrap
green stripe
green shirt dress
black/camel shift

oranges Mon 03-Mar-14 10:31:39

that Navy wrap dress is fab!

LadyVetinari Mon 03-Mar-14 15:52:20

Oooh, I really like Frankie's choice in the orange and white colourway - do you think it would suit you? That colour never compliments me, but I can imagine it looking wonderful on other women.

LadyVetinari Mon 03-Mar-14 15:57:44

(PS: The blue is also very lovely - I just really really wish I could pull off the orange/white version as it looks so happy and retro and summery...)

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 15:59:57

I have this and it's my favourite Summer dress but I expect it might be too casual?

They do a version with sleeves though.

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 16:00:33

The Boden one is not dissimilar.

What's going on? I actually don't hate a Boden dress shock.

frankietwospots Mon 03-Mar-14 16:02:29

smile Sometimes they do get the 50s vibe right!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 03-Mar-14 16:38:25

Lindy Bop and Heyday both have some great vintage style dresses. The problem with some fifties style frocks is that they look a bit prom night for a professional occasion so I've picked out a couple of wiggle dresses and two forties style day dresses.

http://www.lindy-bop.com/dresses/wiggle-dresses/tiffany.html

http://www.lindy-bop.com/dresses/wiggle-dresses/fran.html

http://www.heydayonline.co.uk/default/womens-clothing/ladies-the-fleur-dress-daisy-chain.html#.UxSppLYgGc0

http://www.heydayonline.co.uk/default/ladies-1940s-dress-mary-red-dynamite.html#.UxSrO7YgGc

ILoveWooly Mon 03-Mar-14 16:52:56

I love Zara... THIS with tan wedge sandals and accessories. THIS is lovely too.

Remember the models are tall so would be longer on most mere mortals.

ILoveWooly Mon 03-Mar-14 17:30:47

Oh I forgot I got THIS dress last week... with a view to using it nearer the summer. I am looking for orange accessories.

I also got a lovely JAEGUR dress in JL too. I am sure it is called 'Maria', it is bright red. Both are lovely and lightweight. and both can be teamed with a short jacket or cardi.

The yellow Zara with sleeves is more professional looking than a lot of the others posted. Unfortunately it's 100% polyester, so would be stifling.

I don't think some of the below look suitable for work related presentations, personally.

Is this too frumpy?

Quite nice and it's cotton, but I hate the belt

Both look a bit vintage but not at all rocky!

Absolutely love this

ShatzePage Mon 03-Mar-14 18:36:07

Possibly not suitable for your presentation but Vivien of holloway have a lovely dress in a Day of the dead print.

tethersend Mon 03-Mar-14 20:17:53

black

tethersend Mon 03-Mar-14 20:18:27

polka dot

tethersend Mon 03-Mar-14 20:19:04

blue

silk so maybe not practical but v v lovely

tethersend Mon 03-Mar-14 20:23:56

check

tethersend Mon 03-Mar-14 20:28:14

grey

(There's loads more on that site, but I've lost the will to click)

GeekLove Mon 03-Mar-14 20:44:11

I've seen some nice ones from HoF - they seem to have a sale on at the moment. Keep the suggestions coming .

GeekLove Mon 03-Mar-14 21:46:34

this is something I have in mind here

kateemo Mon 03-Mar-14 21:53:39

Anthropologie. The BEST dresses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now