Talk

Advanced search

Life after gel nails!

(8 Posts)
carolinecupcake Sun 02-Mar-14 20:52:50

I've had gel nails for a few years but recently had them removed to give my nails a 'rest' ( my idea). My nails look fine but they're quite weak so keep breaking and as a result are very short. Obviously it's going to take a while for them to recover but I wondered if anyone had any tips on how I could make them stronger?

JasmineL Sun 02-Mar-14 21:42:17

Could you try a nail strengthener?

TwinkleSparkleBling Sun 02-Mar-14 21:50:50

My mum swears by a cube of jelly shock Not sure if it's coincidence but her nails are like talons.

shopafrolic Mon 03-Mar-14 09:14:44

Keep them short, almond oil every morning and night, gloves if you wash up / garden / clean. They need to grow out and then will be strong again. OPI Avoplex nail oil will help but is £££.

Biotin tablets

puggirl Wed 05-Mar-14 18:57:17

Nail envy, miracle stuff I discovered courtesy of mumsnet. Can be brought in Boots but cheaper on EBay.
Have recommended to friends and now they all use it religiously too.

PoshPaula Wed 05-Mar-14 20:00:24

I am in exactly the same situation. I loved the effect of gel nails but in this resting period my nails are really in very poor condition.

bishbashboosh Wed 05-Mar-14 20:22:55

ugh me too I am off gel nails permanently, they wrecked my nails!!

I treated myself to 6 new barry m polishes for the price of one manicure and now i paint my nails with a base coat, keeping them protected like this helps

If my b#nails are bare i often blob and thick layer of hand and nail cream on each nail and let it soak in, and before bed too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now