Talk

Advanced search

Pencil skirts with Peplum hemline

(9 Posts)
Ujjayi Sat 01-Mar-14 15:54:13

What's the verdict?

Example here

I have a tweed maxi skirt (charity shop buy yesterday) that I thought might be re-worked in this style.

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 01-Mar-14 15:58:36

I had some similar in the 80's. you need to be slim (though someone will no doubt come on and refute that) and it depends on the fabric.

FrugalFashionista Sat 01-Mar-14 16:04:36

I think WIT looks gorgeous in hers and she gets the balance just right with very high shoes and a plain top, but I'd look like a stranded mermaid. So sitting this trend out, although must admit already having thought about attaching some suitable material to a short pencil skirt. But if you have a good item handy, go for it and tell us how it goes!

AuntieStella Sat 01-Mar-14 16:04:41

I used to wear them in the 1980s too, but a bit longer than the one in the pic (which I think is badly proportioned).

We used to call them 'fish tail skirts' and if the proportions are right and the kick isn't a gathered horizontal seam, you don't have to be particularly slim. Think 1920s and it becomes both more forgiving and much more elegant.

MarshaBrady Sat 01-Mar-14 16:06:01

WIT does look gorgeous. Love the simplicity of the rest of the outfit. Hair up, and clutch. Yep go for it I say.

Vickiyumyum Sat 01-Mar-14 16:06:19

My mum used to wear them in the 80's. I couldn't do it. I don't think I have the figure anyway as although a size 10/12 my weight is on my tummy.

I had a couple in the 80s and 90s and really liked them, but I really don't like WIT's one. The 'tail' starts too high and is too full and paired with the shoes just looks really fussy imvho.

Ujjayi Sat 01-Mar-14 18:15:39

Thanks for replies. I agree that WIT's peplum is too full. However, they are such a "fashion" piece that I suppose it is the fullness which makes the statement.

I like the pared down look but I was thinking of a clashing Peter Pilotto/Michael van der Ham vibe. The skirt is a mid-pink & white tweed and I have a navy & white silk fitted blouse with a gorgeous slightly mandarin collar (also charity shop £2!!).

The skirt cost £4 & it is a relatively quick alteration so I'll give it a go! I'll post the results for you to decide!

Bonsoir Sun 02-Mar-14 09:08:15

I hate this look. Far too fussy and I think that the peplum plus killer heels looks really uncomfortable. I don't like the look yet alone the feel of uncomfortable, restrictive clothing. I think we are in fashion victim territory here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now