Talk

Advanced search

Seriously warm slippers needed

(22 Posts)
FaceDirectionOfTravel Sat 01-Mar-14 14:53:25

I am used to wearing cheap slipper boots but the last two pairs have just fallen apart inside three months. I ordered Celtic Sheepskin bootees but these just don't feel warm enough as it feels like I have a draft round my little ankles. Awww.

So, do I need to go for sheepskin calf boots? Can I get these in any colour besides tan?

I know spring is around the corner but I'm at home A LOT and feel the cold. Thank you all.

FrugalFashionista Sat 01-Mar-14 15:09:49

I've had a pair of calf-length Celtic houseboots for several years (worn pretty much every day during the cold part of the year) and have washed them a couple of times too. Can recommend - we have stone floors in many rooms and they are very warm, comfy and durable.

PigeonPie Sat 01-Mar-14 15:19:51

I too feel the cold and have been snuggly and warm in these Shepherd 'Annie' slippers.

I did get them from this shop because I had to try them on and could get into Oxford, but I'm sure you can get then at other places.

MistyB Sat 01-Mar-14 15:22:46

The North Face mules, seriously ugly and only available here in small, more expensive elsewhere but very very toasty indeed!!

MistyB Sat 01-Mar-14 15:23:31

Oh, just noticed ankle drafts, no good then. Sorry.

Breakage Sat 01-Mar-14 15:27:41

These have seriously changed my life.

Am shocked at the price (were a present from DH) but mine are 3 years only and still good as new (wash up beautifully in the machine)

They have meant I have never put to heating on when I've been home alone during the day this winter.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Sat 01-Mar-14 17:11:49

Thanks for all these. I've been looking for Shepherd stockists as I really like their Agneta slippers but can't find them.

Will look into these. grin.

whitecat Sat 01-Mar-14 17:27:22

It's worth keeping an eye on TK Maxx website. Bearpaw sheepskin boots are quite cheap, sometimes come in colours other than brown and definitely no ankle draft.

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Mar-14 17:35:07

I echo what Frugal said.

YouCanCallMeBetty Sun 02-Mar-14 06:38:06

I've got the Shepherd Annie slippers Pigeon - amazing, have barely taken them off since Christmas! Have you washed yours? Are they handwash only?

PigeonPie Sun 02-Mar-14 14:07:28

Betty, I haven't dared yet. I think I might just let them 'age naturally'! Actually they don't look too bad (I had mine for Christmas too), despite the fact that they are on my feet more time than they're off.

I would definitely recommend the hard soles. It means I can dash out to the rubbish without taking them off and putting on my shoes (which is a parlarva for me in itself) as I can't wear slip-ons.

I am at an age that I don't care what they look like as long as they're warm. The only disadvantage is that my left foot has very poor circulation so I have to make sure it's warm before I put them on otherwise the sheepskin just insulates the cold.

CointreauVersial Sun 02-Mar-14 14:24:04

Breakage, those slippers look gorgeous - just what I'm after! DH still owes me a birthday present. I don't like hard soles, because I sometimes curl my feet up on the sofa (if the bins need to go out I'll send DH grin ). I might buy a pair of "seconds", because I'm sure I wouldn't notice after a few wears.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Mon 03-Mar-14 18:47:05

Breakage am considering getting the ones you linked to but am not sure about the sole. Think I prefer a softer sole (so I don't feel like I'm up and about too much, iyswim)...how do you find it?

Bootoyou2 Mon 03-Mar-14 18:50:09

Isotoner totes....love them, so so warm and lovely padded sole and rubber bottom so can nip out to the bin in them. Lots of styles. Some slightly less fashionable than the others....

CointreauVersial Mon 03-Mar-14 21:53:38

All this popping out to the bin.......you lot need to start delegating! wink grin

I have ordered the sheepskin boots recommended by Breakage - I ordered two sizes to make sure - and will report back.

PigeonPie Mon 03-Mar-14 22:21:52

Cointreau, I also have to have hard soles as I've lost about 98% of the feeling in one of my feet and can't risk treading on anything hard as I can damage it without knowing.

I don't move the bins, just empty the recycling bucket as the DSs aren't quite big enough to do it yet! grin

CharleyFarnsbarns Mon 03-Mar-14 22:40:54

I wear Celtic & Co original Celt boots. They are fab and I never have cold feet in our draughty old house. Wash them in the washing machine on wool cycle with wool detergent and they come out really well.

Whitetara Mon 03-Mar-14 23:04:42

Those sheepland boots look amazing and much cheaper than my Just Sheepskin boots. I'm on my second pair, and seriously, sheepskin boot slippers have changed my life too!

CointreauVersial Tue 04-Mar-14 12:58:14

They just arrived (fast delivery, or what?), and are sitting next to me in a package, but I'm currently in the office.

Do you think they'll notice if I pop a pair of slippers on? grin

CointreauVersial Wed 05-Mar-14 00:07:21

Well, the Sheepland slipper boots get a huge thumbs up from me. Seriously cosy. Mine were Seconds, but I could barely spot the fault (a small glue smudge near the top).

I ordered two sizes - I'm usually a 6.5 - 7 in shoes, and I ordered a 7 and an 8, and I'm glad I did. My toes were quite near the end of the 7s which made them a little uncomfortable, so I'm keeping the 8s. They will stretch a bit, but not in the length I don't think.

YouCanCallMeBetty Wed 05-Mar-14 06:18:15

I prefer hard soles for the bin-popping opportunities they allow, and I also have a notion they'll last longer, but I might be wrong. That said, those Sheepland slippers look bloody amazing.

CointreauVersial Fri 07-Mar-14 23:20:15

My feet were officially "Too Hot" in my Sheepland slipper boots this evening. grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now