Talk

Advanced search

Anyone going for dinner in glam restaurant tonight? What are you wearing?

(22 Posts)
Greenstone Sat 01-Mar-14 11:10:22

Can't decide but am leaning more towards skinnies and heels and less towards a dress.

Greenstone Sat 01-Mar-14 11:26:54

Bump

Ideas welcome smile

Robfordscrack Sat 01-Mar-14 11:30:27

I went to a very nice restaurant on Thursday night in NYC. I wore a navy leather skirt, white top with sheer back and long length camel coloured boots with black clutch.

Dilidali Sat 01-Mar-14 11:30:49

I wore a dress last time I went smile

JokersGiggle Sat 01-Mar-14 11:35:40

Skinnies (black), mega high heels in a bright colour, cashmere top (neutral colour) and bag that tones/matches with the shoe colour. Finished off with a French manicure (or match nail colour to shoes) straightened loose hair, simple Makeup smile

Greenstone Sat 01-Mar-14 11:39:00

Thank you! All sounds great. Wish I had a leather skirt!

I was thinking of black skinnies and pointy heels with a silky stripey 3/4 sleeve top. The top is great but maybe too casual. Will review my dress options...

Bonsoir Sat 01-Mar-14 11:41:13

Were I going to eat dinner in a glam restaurant tonight (I'm not but I sometimes do) I would wear:

- pointed narrow wedge-heeled beige suede ankle boots
- flat fronted gold/blue jaquard above the ankle trousers
- beige/gold beaded sweater
- anthracite velvet evening bag or perhaps red/gold clutch

PlainBrownEnvelope Sat 01-Mar-14 11:43:54

Dark blue skinny jeans, black Cami crochet top and my fave vintage frye cowboy boots. I live in Hk where 'smart casual' means ' no flip flops or wife beaters' though. It's one scruffy arsed city grin

Greenstone Sat 01-Mar-14 11:54:04

I like the sound of the trousers bonsoir. I need
I'm in Ireland and people do Glam here at night not always sucessfully as opposed to smart casual.

right, off to try stuff if toddler will permit that.

Bonsoir Sat 01-Mar-14 11:55:55

I really like furnishing fabrics jacquards and brocades for clothing, as long as it is not overdone. Simple designs and fancy fabric on one item. Goes well with velvet as in my sitting room.

TheJumped Sat 01-Mar-14 12:47:13

I am joining Bonsoir at her fantasy posh restaurant tonight smile wine

I will be wearing

Black suede knee boots
Navy silk cowl neck sleeveless dress (DvF)
Gold and cream statement necklace (Mango)
Black and gold clutch - MBMJ

Greenstone Sat 01-Mar-14 12:47:38

Ok, think I will go with

Caramel and black patterned collarless silk shirt
Black skinnies
Black pointy heels
One short and one long gold necklace
Mac Ruby Woo.

Bag tbd.

prettyinpink90 Sat 01-Mar-14 13:39:46

I am eating out at a nice restaurant tonight for my anniversary. I will be wearing a cream lace maternity dress (baby due in April) with 3D black flowers, black tights and black heels.

lainiekazan Sat 01-Mar-14 15:55:24

Can someone link to where one might purchase some of these things?

I am imminently going to dine out with dh's boss and wife and I do not want to look like someone who is on a day out up in town from the sticks (which I patently am).

Bonsoir Sat 01-Mar-14 19:45:21

lainiekazan - budget? What do you like the sound of?

PartTimePunk Sat 01-Mar-14 19:55:00

Are you in Dublin OP? I am and am going somewhere posh (ish) tonight. If I see someone wearing your outfit shall we do some sort of secret MN handshake grin

Wearing black cos dress, black tights and charcoal ankle boots <Middle aged goth>.

Greenstone Sun 02-Mar-14 08:08:34

Not in Dublin Punk! Your outfit sounds lovely, hope you had a good time smile

My own outfit worked well, I think, the baby sitter loved it anyway smile

Lanie-- what's your age, height, size, normal style etc? My silk shirt was from Whistles, black skinnies were Maje, and heels from Zara. Zara do good fancy shoes. I don't like spending much on heels because only wear them for rare glam dinners. New look/primarkesque shoes look shoddy on me but zara look the right side of classy.

WipsGlitter Sun 02-Mar-14 08:20:30

bonsoir I'm stunned. In my head you are very matronly. With sensible bouffant hair and a knee length skirt!!

Sounds lovely OP. Hope you had a good night.

lainiekazan Sun 02-Mar-14 09:09:04

I'm (ahem) 50, but fairly well preserved, size 8, 5'3".

I have always worn black when going out, but it suddenly struck me that I was starting to resemble a witch more than a rock chick. A while ago I had my long hair cut off as I was in mortal danger of doing the 1665 thing.

Imo a knee-length skirt is something that can go badly wrong. Over 40 and it might look rather matronly.

Lavenderhoney Sun 02-Mar-14 09:31:10

I'm going to one this week and not only do I have an outfit to panic about, it's a full on body and grooming flap toosmile

Thinking black pencil skirt, black top with statement flower necklace, bare legs as I hate tights and heels.
Will I look silly with bare legs?

I have very heeled shoe boots so I could wear those with nude tights and suffer.
I an slim size 8-10 but curvy and still working on my Cs tummy!

I'm going to drink lots of water, hair blowdryed on the day, book waxing and mani/ pedi

Anything else? I haven't been out for over a yearsmile
So advice welcome and needed

Might practise with my heelssmile

Bonsoir Sun 02-Mar-14 14:06:29

lainiekazan - I agree, black in the evening is better on youth than maturity smile. I'm 47 and rarely wear black.

Do you definitely need to wear a dress/skirt? I love trousers for the evening, as long as you have some special footwear (heeled wedge ankle boots are fantastically good comfort-for-glamour value - but again, no black) with a white shirt or a beaded sweater.

lainiekazan Sun 02-Mar-14 15:22:24

black and white shirt to my mind = the total mortification of being mistaken for the waitress. Otoh in many places the waiting staff are far more fabulous than the customers so perhaps it could be a compliment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now