Talk

Advanced search

Casual trousers that aren't jeans

(20 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Sat 01-Mar-14 09:38:19

I am looking for an alternative to the skinny jeans I seem to live in.

I am a sahm so they need to be casual and fairly hard wearing. And preferably cheap!

I remember in my late teens/early twenties having lots of pairs of combats - not army surplus ones, but like All Saints (remember them?!) used to wear. I miss them! What should my mid-30s self be looking for?

I am 5ft 6 and size 8 so fairly easy to dress...

Thanks!

Leviticus Sat 01-Mar-14 09:38:48

Skinny combats?

PretzelPrincess Sat 01-Mar-14 09:39:18

Watching this as I've been on the hint for foreverrrr

IWillOnlyEatBeans Sat 01-Mar-14 09:41:16

Have you seen any in the shops leviticus? I live in a small city which is rubbish for shopping...

IWillOnlyEatBeans Sat 01-Mar-14 09:49:34

Oh, and I'm not especially keen on the floral/patterned trousers seem to be everywhere (sorry to be fussy!)

wallpaperaddict Sat 01-Mar-14 10:13:50

At various points I've seen skinny combats in River Island, Next, H&M, uniqlo and primark. Last spring River Island did tapered combats which are really nice, looser around top of the leg but tighter down the leg-really flattering and comfortable. If your not adverse to buying from eBay that may be worth a look!

RoganJosh Sat 01-Mar-14 10:16:30

I wear skinny cords quite a lot. I've got them from Next, George and M&S (described as treggings).

MaxsMummy2012 Sat 01-Mar-14 10:20:40

New look do casual trousers in colours (I've got navy, dark teal and a maroon colour) - same style as straight leg jeans but not denim so they dont look like jeans - think they're called 'supersoft' and are around £20.

Leviticus Sat 01-Mar-14 10:24:52

Mine were from TK Maxx last year - not very helpful, sorry. Almost everyone is online now. Have you looked on asos?

frankietwospots Sat 01-Mar-14 10:37:39

Boden urban trousers? www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Trousers-Jeans/Trousers/WM348/Womens-Skinny-Urban-Trouser.html

Or Uniqlo cargo trousers? www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/087542

H&M usually do chinos in a range of colours like this:

tablet.hm.com/gb/product/16798?article=16798-C

Munxx Sat 01-Mar-14 12:57:39

White stuff jeggings perhaps? Nice colours, I have the blackberry ones

bishbashboosh Sat 01-Mar-14 14:09:22

I wear trousers from h and m I have every colour! Thyre v cheap? I have navy, mustard, maroon, black, khaki, grey, beige and white, they're basically skinny jeans but without the denim

I made a resolution a couple if years ago that I wouldn't wear jeans and I invested in lots of dresses tight leggings and trousers, it's been mainly trousers, due to the weather!!!

Bought some skinny stretchy blue jeans the other day though, they seem to be back In

chanie44 Sat 01-Mar-14 14:46:02

Chinos - they should be hitting the shop for spring soon.

MrsPeacockDidIt Sat 01-Mar-14 15:45:19

I've seen lots of "biker trouser" which I would describe as kind of like skinny cargos.

next ones

mint velvet. These are described as jeans but I have them and they are not jeans material. Much softer, more chino material.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Sat 01-Mar-14 17:47:38

Thanks for all these suggestions. I'll have a look through the links and do some googling once the DC are in bed. 90 mins and counting... grin

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Mar-14 19:32:55

I have a few pairs of Sainsbury's Chinos. They fit me really well! Cost no more than about £18 and I got some royal blue ones from the sale rail for £8 earlier in the week.

Kahu Sat 01-Mar-14 19:43:52

I just got a pair of these & they are great. I'm planning to have a look at the Gap chinos & skimmers too.

treaclesoda Sat 01-Mar-14 19:49:58

this discussion caught my eye! Like the OP I'm a 30 something sahm and the skinny cargos look very appealing to me. So, next question, what would you wear on your feet? And your top half, for that matter!

Kahu Sat 01-Mar-14 20:18:15

I'm currently wearing ankle books with mine & will go with superga (more comfy than converse for me) & flip flops when in gets warmer. I roll up the ankle a little bit.

And for tops, the ubiquitous stripey long sleeve of course! I've been wearing a denim shirt, sometimes with a JCrew Tippi crew neck sweater over top & a grey sweatshirt. I also have loads of slouchy raglan-sleeved tops in a sort of thick T-shirt fabric that look good with the skinny bottom half. I wear them with a vest top underneath. A slouchy boyfriend style v-neck sweater would also work I think.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Sun 02-Mar-14 16:20:10

I love those skinny khakis! Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now