Talk

Advanced search

When I think of Swedes, I donor think of them in this

(22 Posts)
Sleepyfergus Fri 28-Feb-14 21:39:40

Gudrun Sjoden.

Is never heard of them until today. Their catalogue arrived today (randomly) and I got excited, looking forward to flicking through it, perhaps finding a 'gem' or a whole new dimension to my pitiful wardrobe.

WTAF? Are they trying to make everyone look 5 times larger than they need to be? And stumpy at that? Some of the materials look like they could remove the toughest gloss paint from a door with little elbow grease.

Am I missing something?

Sleepyfergus Fri 28-Feb-14 21:40:02

Title * I don't

Plateofcrumbs Sat 01-Mar-14 08:49:51

Not heard of them before. Possibly Swedish for "Hippy Boden"?

Not my style but I could see someone looking nice in some of their clothes - some are a bit blah, but there's some things that if I saw someone wearing it I'd compliment them.

Dilidali Sat 01-Mar-14 08:59:01

It's all a bit Pipi Longstockings, isn't it? But she lived all on her own with a horse and a monkey.

I loved the fact a lot of the models were ladies in their 60-70, I think it's a fab idea!

FrugalFashionista Sat 01-Mar-14 09:15:11

Think of it as extreme Anthropologie wink Every country has its cat lady / art teacher customer base. The typical customer is a 50-something mental health nurse with 'creative' interests and this is their way of shaking off conformity. The younger version of this person wears Odd Molly.

slug Sat 01-Mar-14 09:18:07

I confess to owning a few pieces. The catalogues look like an explosion in a pattern factory but if you chose carefully there are some simple, really versatile items. My particular favourite is a boxy cord tunic with a full length zip in a dark purplish red that I bought in the sale a year ago. I wear it unzipped over dresses as an alternative to a cardigan (my office can get quite cold) I also have a couple of simple velvet dresses that are toasty warm.

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Sat 01-Mar-14 09:24:11

I love love love their clothes and I am not a mad cat lady or massively fat. You do have to tread carefully but the prints are fabulous and the quality is stunning. I often wear a beautiful top from them with skinny jeans and heels, I get lots of compliments. I have to admit I don't have the guts to style their clothes like the pictures but mixed with other stuff it is really lovely in a grown up way. I also love Toast and Anthropologie so maybe I am just a bit of a wannabe hippie at heart.

PasswordProtected Sat 01-Mar-14 09:33:08

A bit "weave your own lentils" for me.

Branleuse Sat 01-Mar-14 09:37:28

ooh i like!

i like the fact that the items, rather than "making everybody look bigger than they are", arent just designed to say "THIN, look at me, THIn"

fun fabrics, fun shapes, playful

Best1sWest Sat 01-Mar-14 09:39:59

Quite like some of their stuff actually. Agree that you have to pick carefully.

FrugalFashionista Sat 01-Mar-14 09:47:41

I love people who wear Gudrun Sjöden. They are a welcome change in a mass of pale faces wearing back and gray. The clothes are cut in a way that allows real people to wear them.

Fashion has ignored people for don't conform to a very narrowly defined ideal for decades. If you want to embrace your individuality when you are young, you will want to continue when you are older, but it's more fun when you can do it collectively. In the US, you have The Red Hat Society. I'm not saying it's the same thing but it's a gentle rebellion with color - previously invisible people claim their space.

The clothes there make me think of salwar kameez (asian long tunic and baggy trousers) and I wish I had the guts to pull off that look because I really like it!

Sadly I'm not creative enough and will probably go to my grave in jeans and a tunic top :/

WhereIsMyHat Sat 01-Mar-14 13:50:38

The lentil weaver in me can appreciate it but I'm too much of a victim.

I think of Sweden as a million times more crunchy than the UK!

enormouse Sat 01-Mar-14 14:02:21

My art teacher MIL (almost 60) wears Gudrun and she looks great. It really suits her lifestyle and aesthetic.
I can't see it suiting anyone else I know but her though.

Longdistance Sat 01-Mar-14 14:05:24

My mil is a red hat lady. She's in the Uk.

CuttedUpPear Sat 01-Mar-14 14:13:01

I love it. Look at those over 23 yr old models. Fucking inspirational.

It's not for me - yet - but I hope to be a rebellious old lady wearing whatever the hell I want.

Hippychickster Sat 01-Mar-14 14:15:26

Well I'm Swedish and I've never heard of it! Quite like some of the patterns though!

MadIsTheNewNormal Sat 01-Mar-14 14:24:59

Whoah! Whoah there Nellie! Scary stuff.

Expensive scary stuff.

Floisme Sat 01-Mar-14 15:59:06

I'm hurtling towards my sixties and I feel very torn about this. Yes, of course I'm pleased to see older women modelling clothes but excuse me if I don't stand up and cheer. Is this badly fitting Boden-on-drugs look really the best I can hope for?

TeamWill Sat 01-Mar-14 17:14:35

Totally agree Flo its absolutely ghastly, multicoloured sacks and the sort of coloured tights I wouldn't put on a 4 year old yet alone an adult woman.

TeamWill Sat 01-Mar-14 19:27:23

Curious as to why there are women who feel they cant wear what they like at any age ?
You don't need to wear clothes that make you look like a clown at 60 - wear them at any age if you feel the need wink

solveproblem Sat 01-Mar-14 19:41:18

It's for arty farty grannies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now