Talk

Advanced search

Help! Struggling to find clothes

(17 Posts)
bluesbaby Fri 28-Feb-14 12:36:08

This might sound mad considering how expansive women's fashion is, but I really struggle to find brands that make / stock clothes that are suitable for something who is:

in their mid twenties (and definitely don't want to look frumpy/mumsy - boden and white stuff are not for me!)
not into trendy stuff (topshop definitely not for me)
is not stylish enough for classic designs (i'm more casual, but really look frumpy in stuff you might see in seasalt or howies for example... i'm very short and baby faced and need things to be slightly on the "sexy" side to avoid looking too much like either a child or a grandma)
needs something inbetween - something edgy, simple, well cut, well made.
doesn't want throw away fashion items (from boohoo or misguided for example)
i'm also not the right shape for boho type clothes - i'm short and hourglass, I need structured or slightly clingy clothes so I don't look huge.

willing to splurge if necessary and made well. please tell me where you shop!

vitaminC Fri 28-Feb-14 14:07:49

Morgan?

bluesbaby Fri 28-Feb-14 15:40:58

is that a joke? google showed me this for morgan...

bluesbaby Fri 28-Feb-14 15:46:51

confused

I really can't wear anything like this at all... I'm a short hourglass with a small waist, but obviously big boobs and bum... I'd just look like a bag lady (a bit like this girl does...)

i want cool t-shirts, chinos, tops that aren't totally boring or frumpy, well structured designs with small details (like cool buttons, or styled pockets, etc) that are well made

anyone..?

Innogen Fri 28-Feb-14 15:49:33

Zara?

bluesbaby Fri 28-Feb-14 16:26:32

confused

too preppy for me i'm afraid (though it looks nice - i know i would feel self conscious in it). i'm also really not built for zara clothes... i'm a short hourglass shape and can't do anything slinky or flowy without it being clinched in.

Innogen Fri 28-Feb-14 16:35:54

I kinda don't believe you can write a whole store off. Go in, try on, ask for advice there. There will be something and you're going to need a stylist's help I think.

schmalex Fri 28-Feb-14 17:01:47

Cos?
I wouldn't write whole shops off either. Even somewhere like Topshop has plenty of stuff that isn't super trendy. Their personal shoppers are pretty good (and free) and will get you to try stuff you wouldn't normally try. You might surprise yourself!

capet Fri 28-Feb-14 17:21:55

I think you need to have another look at some of the places you've discounted already.
Not everything in Zara is preppy, likewise not everything in boden is frumpy.
Plus it's about how you put an outfit together etc.
But I don't think anyone just shops in 1 or 2 stores? (Perhaps I'm totally wrong there?)
Maybe also check out all saints/whistles/mint velvet?
But again don't just write off entire stores/brands

RaspberrySchnapps Fri 28-Feb-14 18:10:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RaspberrySchnapps Fri 28-Feb-14 18:21:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boogiewoogie Fri 28-Feb-14 21:41:30

Fat Face?

When I was in my mid 20s, I shopped mainly from Gap (boycotting them now), Topshop, Warehouse and Oasis as that is how far my budget stretched at the time. Coast for wedding outfits.

I'm afraid it's difficult to know what you want if you want specific brands for all types of clothes. Casual basics can come from one shop whilst their smarter items might not be for you.

What sort of items do you want to "cling" and make you not look like a child or grandma? What is your style?

You say you're short, does that mean that standard sized jeans etc do not fit you and that you have to resort to petite range? You can buy fitted cropped cardigans/jumpers from most places.

ClaraFox Sat 01-Mar-14 14:55:14

I'd recommend Oasis I think. Possibly fat face

thepurplepenguin Sat 01-Mar-14 15:16:11

Warehouse

AmIatwat Sat 01-Mar-14 15:29:15

Desigual?

HelloBoys Sat 01-Mar-14 15:33:02

Try Cos and &Other Stories.

Also I don't know if they're here yet but Stradivarius (Zara, Massimo Dutti market) are young, hip but not TOO young and hip if you know what I mean.

HelloBoys Sat 01-Mar-14 15:34:47

oh another place to try, Urban Outfitters - they have LOADS of brands and you know what'll suit you.

for example I tried on a pair of PVC black leggings there (to wear under a top/dress) - I knew they weren't for me but they have a lot of other stuff. Young too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now