Talk

Advanced search

What sort of SHORT hair style would work on thick, coarse hair?

(13 Posts)
JapaneseMargaret Fri 28-Feb-14 06:45:38

I'm thinking of going for a short hair style.

It's been long or shoulder-length for years now, and I suspect it doesn't flatter me very much any more.

I'm 40, I don't have a fringe, and I secretly wonder if the length is actually starting to pull down my face...? Not sure if this makes sense.

The only issue is that my hair is thick, coarse and wiry when unstyled, which probably isn't conducive to many short styles. I also wonder if I should forget the side parting, and go for some sort of short fringe.

I have a slim, oval face, and my eyes are a decent enough feature.

Any ideas/recs????!

MoFoe1 Fri 28-Feb-14 08:41:35

How much time/maintenance are you willing to put into it??maybe go really short at the back and chin length at the front?you might have to straighten the front,but it wouldn't take too longgrin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 28-Feb-14 09:43:01

Personally I found shorter hair needed much more maintenance than longer hair. I had to wash every day as the weight used to pull out and 'bed head' I had when I woke up.

If you have the slightest frizz I wouldn't go short personally.

Could you revamp your hair but not actually go short? New colour, more layers?

maillotjaune Fri 28-Feb-14 10:00:52

I have been told by hairdressers all my life that I have the thickest hair they have ever seen. When I had short hair I had to fiddle with it constantly and use a lot of product to make it stay in an acceptable state.

For years now I've had a shortish bob with an undercut so it's quick to straighten and not triangular. I can't believe people told me when I was young how lucky I was to have such thick hair, you'll be able to do anything you like with it blah blah...

The hairdressers have a range of techniques to thin hair out now - when I was a kid it was some kind of evil pulling thing that just made me cry.

Greenstone Fri 28-Feb-14 10:04:13

A friend with hair like yours got a really short crop - think Michelle Williams.

It was the best hair transformation I've ever seen. Really, really suits her. But would need regular trims because it looks its best when quite short.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 28-Feb-14 10:10:33

YY short hair is harder work. Daily washing, styling product and regular trims to keep it tidy.
And when I had short hair I had to make sure I wore make-up every day so I didn't look blokey .

I have a similar face shape and hair length , but my hair is fine with a wave.

Last year I was getting the "Twitch" to have my hair cut. I had a wispy fringe cut in, then next time , a bit more/thicker

I don't wear a parting when my hair is tied back (brushed from the hairline) so my fringe can get pulled away from my face.
If it's loose it sits on my shoulders with a middle or side parting.

Try a fringe it's amazing how it 'lifts' your face and covers forehead lines

RalphRecklessCardew Fri 28-Feb-14 13:46:30

Same hair as yours. It looks best properly short - the Michelle Williams tip is good.

JapaneseMargaret Fri 28-Feb-14 16:44:31

Thanks all, something to think about.

In all honesty, I guess I just need to find the holy grail - a really good hairdresser who understand the hair type and can give me a cut that suits me.

I am still searching.

chainedtothedesk Tue 04-Mar-14 11:07:37

DO IT! I have had short hair a couple of times in my adult life, grown it out to a bob, stuck it out until it was shoulder level and then cut it off again. My 'long' hair was boring and frizzy. I tied it up in a very unflattering ponytail and just looked... mumsy frankly!

I went short again six months ago and I love it. I do wash it every morning because when I wake up it is sticking up but it takes two minutes to dry and a blob of 'product' and I'm good to go. I have it short at the back with a slightly longish kind of fringe to the front to keep it feminine. (This description does make it sound a big odd - think Jennifer whatsit from Hunger games, or Halle Berry - clearly I don't think I look like these lovely ladies but I like to think our hair isn't too disimilar!)

My hair is very, very think and has a wave in it. I wear it 'messy'. I love it. Much more young and funky looking. I can't see me growing it out for a long time.

Go for it. If you do hate it, it is only hair, it will grow back!

busybeev Tue 04-Mar-14 11:13:30

chained
Your hair sounds like mine, thick and wavy. I would love a pic of your style. I just have a short graduated bob and am bored of it!

chainedtothedesk Tue 04-Mar-14 11:22:00

eek busybeev! Maybe not a pic of me - but this is the model I took a picture of to the hairdressers. My hair is a bit thicker looking and a bit more messed up.

http://www.laredoute.co.uk/staticpages/lookbook-spring.aspx?nc=8368

frogslegs35 Tue 04-Mar-14 12:05:18

My hair sounds like yours, my hairdresser used to hate me with long hair because it took a lifetime to dry smile

I've had short cropped hair for 2 years now and love it.
I've had a michelle williams style before but It's now very short on one side and a bit longer on the other. Like this but shorter-

pophaircuts.com/ultra-short-hairstyles

It does take a bit longer to style now as it has to be done every morning instead of just clipping it up when I couldn't be bothered but it's worth it.

I'm of the same opinion as chained - It's only hair, it'll grow back if you don't like it.

frogslegs35 Tue 04-Mar-14 12:06:44

Link fail - try again.

pophaircuts.com/ultra-short-hairstyles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now