Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to an interview if you don't do dresses or skirts?

(9 Posts)
MamOfTwo Wed 26-Feb-14 20:27:54

I have an interview coming up but I don't really do dresses or skirts and feel a suit would be too formal (plus I don't have the money to fork out on one). I am a size 16-18. It's for a library job. Please could somebody help me out with any suggestions?

RalphRecklessCardew Wed 26-Feb-14 20:31:02

Smart trousers and similar top? Suit sans jacket in other words.

Break a leg. Metaphorically.

Mintyy Wed 26-Feb-14 20:33:11

A pair of trousers and a shirt.

MamOfTwo Wed 26-Feb-14 22:01:23

Thank you! Yes, I was thinking smart trousers. Wary of the dreaded shirt gape but not sure what other type of top to get. Will have a browse.

Mintyy Wed 26-Feb-14 22:16:42

White Stuff do some nice shirts that are a bit stretchy and not too formal, whilst still being a proper shirt iykwim.

You can always wear a vest with a bit of trim at the top underneath.

MrsCosmopilite Wed 26-Feb-14 22:22:19

There are some nice shirts/blouses around at the moment that have a fastening at the back - the front is more 'solid' IYSWIM. I think the proper term for them is 'button back top'.

vitaminC Thu 27-Feb-14 13:55:41

My standard interview outfit has nearly always been: smart black/navy/grey trousers, matching top (not a shirt as I am very hourglass), contrasting jacket. Make sure to add in a smart leather belt if possible, and the best shoes you own/can afford smile

I've often been complimented for looking smart without overdoing the classic suit thing. Plus, it means the items are easier to re-use in other combinations, especially if you rarely have interviews and don't need to keep a specific "interview outfit" in your wardrobe!

MamOfTwo Thu 06-Mar-14 18:04:15

I got the job! Thank you all for your advice! thanks

ginbin54 Thu 06-Mar-14 20:17:27

Congratulations Mamoftwo! Really pleased for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now