Talk

Advanced search

sleeveless black chiffon cocktail dress - what tights to wear?

(14 Posts)
shoebun Wed 26-Feb-14 12:22:26

Will be wearing black leather strappy shoes but can't face the idea of nude tights in this weather am worried that black opaques will look too daytime. Is there a middle ground where I can combine warmth and style?
Thanks.

FrugalFashionista Wed 26-Feb-14 15:57:36

Where I live black sheer tights are fashionable but depends a bit on how strappy your shoes are. I wear patterned sheer black tights (petits pois or very large fishnet pattern) quite a lot with LBDs. I think bare legs in the winter are not a very successful look and I want to enjoy the parties too...

Puddles1234 Wed 26-Feb-14 15:59:17

What are the shoes like?

HorraceTheOtter Wed 26-Feb-14 16:02:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrugalFashionista Wed 26-Feb-14 16:08:28

But you can't wear a cardigan with a cocktail dress...
The rules totally depend on where you are and who is giving the party.

shoebun Wed 26-Feb-14 16:18:40

Thanks for your ideas. The shoes are quite high and pointy,with closed in toes and an additional thin strap over the foot. As the dress is bias cut chiffon with thin straps I think they'll work ok together. The other option is black suede heels which just look too heavy.
Black sheer tights seem to be a fashion no no at the moment so I'm thinking maybe a 40 denier semi opaque or is that just a cop out????

Financeprincess Wed 26-Feb-14 16:22:28

I'm with Horace: bare arms with black legs just looks a bit weird and half-arsed.

I'd slap on the St Tropez and brave it, myself.

HorraceTheOtter Wed 26-Feb-14 17:29:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twinklestein Wed 26-Feb-14 17:42:51

Whatever you do, do not wear bare legs in February. Just no.

< These sleeveless dresses look fine with sheer black tights.

PrincessOfChina Wed 26-Feb-14 17:44:46

I agree with those saying no bare arms with black tights, especially opaques. Just looks weird.

Surely you'll be inside so going bare legged/nude tights isn't a problem?

Catsmamma Wed 26-Feb-14 17:52:34

very sheer black tights, are fine with bare arms and esp if the shoes are closed in.
I'd never wear tights with open toe shoes though.

I think opaques are too every day unless it's a very short fitted frock/tunic stylee

Bare legs in February?? People will think you have got lost from being on the pull in Newcastle. <humour>

Twinklestein Wed 26-Feb-14 17:57:36

Bare legs is a total style no no.

It doesn't much matter if the OP wears nude tights or black tights but it really matters that she wears tights.

shoebun Wed 26-Feb-14 19:47:53

Thanks for all your suggestions. Can see that bare arms and black tights would look odd. No tights isn't an option for me as I am always cold, even inside! So, nude or possibly sheer black tights it is then. Who would have thought it would be so complicated? Now, just need to work out which will look best...
Thanks again.
x

RonaldMcDonald Wed 26-Feb-14 19:56:34

Naked legs with some slap or tan on them
Man up for the coldness fgs
It's fashion for goodness sake

Otherwise wear a fleece and be done with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now