Talk

Advanced search

Smelly leather belt.

(6 Posts)
BuzzardBird Wed 26-Feb-14 11:55:04

I bought a leather belt in Morocco and now it reeks of camel! Has anyone any idea how to get rid of the smell? I have put waterproofing spray on it as I thought I could seal the smell in but every time I open the garage door (where it now lives) the smell is over powering! I love the belt but if I wear it I will no longer have any friends.

TIA

FizzyFeet Wed 26-Feb-14 22:36:17

DH had this with a leather satchel. He stuffed it full of newspaper, then put it in a box fille up with crunched up newspaper. Left it for a few weeks, changed the paper, then left a few more weeks. It's much better now. Might be worth a try for your belt!

OverAndAbove Thu 27-Feb-14 06:54:02

Oh I knew you were going to say Morocco before I opened the thread! The newspaper trick does work to an extent but it will take ages. There is just something about Moroccan leather that really honks; I had to ditch a pair of leather flip flops I bought for the same reasons of being a social outcast!

whitecat Thu 27-Feb-14 07:59:48

Try putting it in a bag with bicarbonate of soda. It takes away stinky cheese smells from the fridge so should help your belt pong.

whitecat Thu 27-Feb-14 08:00:05

Try putting it in a bag with bicarbonate of soda. It takes away stinky cheese smells from the fridge so should help your belt pong.

BuzzardBird Thu 27-Feb-14 11:56:39

Oh, thanks for the replies, will try the bicarb along with newspaper. I have currently stuck it outside to 'air' in the lovely showery/windy weather...thought it might also keep the squirrels off my daffodil bulbs grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now