Talk

Advanced search

Perfect work bag

(20 Posts)
keely79 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:48:20

Looking for suggestions for a smart work handbag - needs to be suitable to wear with a suit (City job), preferably not black (too boring), plenty of compartments so that I can find all the stuff (have a Mulberry Bayswater and never manage to find anything in there), comfortable to carry on commute (preferably would fit on shoulder but also look good hand held), big enough to fit things like kindle, Ipad, umbrella, etc.

I prefer classic styles (not too much hardware/bling/etc) and would want it to be leather.

Budget up to £600.

jimjamspam Wed 26-Feb-14 11:28:32

I am constantly looking for this and have never found the perfect bag...

I have an Osprey which is very nice but a bit too old fashioned for my liking - they are v good quality but you can often pick them up in TK Maxx or on ebay so I would never pay full whack

I'm currently taking a Modalu Pippa to work (I think they're about £200 so well under budget) which ticks all the boxes on having the right amount of pockets and fitting it in - it also comes in lots of colours.

I would buy a Givenchy if I had the money....

keely79 Wed 26-Feb-14 14:19:44

Thanks for the suggestions. Was also perhaps looking at the Michael Kors multifunction, but not sure if the straps will dig in as too narrow:

www.johnlewis.com/michael-michael-kors-medium-jet-set-multifunction-saffiano-tote-bag/p489339?colour=Green

I think the Modalu Pippa has a bit too much going on on the outside for my personal style - though it does match my other criteria so will perhaps try to have a look at one in person.

hettie Wed 26-Feb-14 14:28:12

Have you browsed Tory Burch bags? They are different but not outlandish....

bunnymother Wed 26-Feb-14 14:42:34

The LK Bennett bags look good, as do the Hobbs and Reiss ones. LK Bennett and Hobbs seem to be £300-400 and are relatively unbadged (esp since you can remove Hobbs' stupid tag things).

Do you like the LK Bennett Jessica or the Hobbs Downham or Reiss Harland?

Bananapud Wed 26-Feb-14 14:56:55

_ borough bag this is gorgeous IRL. I have only seen oxblood which actually looks a bit darker than on the website.

keely79 Wed 26-Feb-14 15:01:40

I like the style of the Hobbs Downham from what I can see on the website (blue one is only £159 at the moment so quite tempted!) but perhaps a little light on internal pockets. Perhaps will pop into Hobbs and take a look.

The LK Bennett Jessica is closer with the internal pockets, but perhaps a little boxy for commuting. Will have a look in person.

Not that keen on the Harland - though can't put my finger on why - perhaps a little squashy. Also don't like the red colour which is the only other option to black.

These are all definitely in the right style ballpark for me.

HelloBoys Wed 26-Feb-14 15:13:27

Banana I love that Coach one. hides debit/credit cards

HelloBoys Wed 26-Feb-14 15:17:45

Gulp - i don't have this but have another Celine one but it's over budget at £1,232.00.

I adore my celine and see it as an investment but maybe too good for everyday?

www.celine.com/en/collection/winter/leather-goods/edge/11

HelloBoys Wed 26-Feb-14 15:19:19

I was thinking Tods but they're £700 upwards and seems the more colorful the higher the price.

keely79 Wed 26-Feb-14 16:09:56

That Celine one is gorgeous but perhaps will need to wait for bonuses to come in - and yes, might be a bit worried about carting it on the train and tube, leaking pens, etc.

Very very tempted by the Coach one. Looking at US prices, is a lot cheaper to get one there. So may ask a US friend to order one for me and bring to the joint holiday we're having at end of May (and perhaps get Hobbs one for now (no impulse control....)

Thanks all so much for the suggestions! I have some serious bag lust now.

Bananapud Wed 26-Feb-14 17:48:13

It is much cheaper in USA, that's where my friend got hers. Unfortunately I don't know anyone going there. Hoping DH will buy me one for my birthday next month. I know I want medium size but can't decide on colour or marabox vs pebbled leather. Too much choice!

madammecholet Wed 26-Feb-14 18:39:24

Any of these?

r&b holly

p&m Lauren

r&b lauren

Jaegar

coach christy

HermioneWeasley Wed 26-Feb-14 19:52:58

I have make up bags which I use to keep my bits and pieces sorted - works much better than lots of internal pockets because you can pull them out to rummage and just take them from one bag to another

SnowBells Wed 26-Feb-14 20:04:54

I like the Saint Laurent Sac du Jour. But at nearly £2k, I will have to save a lot for that to happen.

cafecito Wed 26-Feb-14 21:31:21

beautiful snowbells!

hobbs had a bag last season, the whiston bag, in raspberry - beautiful colour but horrendously heavy and uncomfortable straps - went back the next day after my moment of madness after seduction by colour

Piratefairy Wed 26-Feb-14 21:54:13

I would vote those R&B bags too madammecholet, absolutely gorgeous.

HelloBoys Wed 26-Feb-14 22:01:48

Don't forget any other American brands like Michael Kors, Tods.

Girl339 Wed 26-Feb-14 22:08:41

Have you had a look at Kate Spade? Absolutely gorgeous bags, there is a store at Westfield in Shepherds Bush. The Park Avenue tote has pretty good pockets
shop.nordstrom.com/s/kate-spade-new-york-park-avenue-sweetheart-leather-crossbody-tote-medium/3618792?siteId=J84DHJLQkR4-8yPKRy7ZIqy74bfwL3vwIQ

cafecito Wed 26-Feb-14 22:15:00

store in covent garden too I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now