Talk

Advanced search

So I tried the Bra intervention - Help?!

(19 Posts)
GoldenSilence Tue 25-Feb-14 19:32:18

I suffer from quite bad back and neck pain, and after reading another thread decided to see if the problem was the bra size I was wearing (a 30G).

I've always hated my boobs, they're too big for my frame and completely unflattering. I'd say I'm a size 6/8 on the bottom, but am at least a size 12/14 on top due to them sad

So I measured underneath my bust - quite tight - and got between 26 and 27 inches... but it really was quite tight, so maybe a 28?

The widest part of my bust was 37, so around ten inches more.

So my questions
What bra size does this translate to - How do I work it out?
And would a change in bra size help me at all, I keep considering a breast reduction because I really do loath them, I've tried all sorts of diets in attempts to lose weight and to be frank carrying these things round 24/7 upsets me.

I'm sorry if this was a bit rambley, I hope someone can understand it enough to help :grin:

CalamityKate Tue 25-Feb-14 19:36:15

Going to guess at 26HH or 28J?

OK, so easily available the smallest band size is a 28. However, if you're a size 6-8 I'm going to guess that you have don't have much flesh/padding over your ribs so this may well be fine for you.

How does your 30G fit? if it feels right in the cups, then try a 28GG and 28H. The 28GG should theoretically be the same volume, and the H is just one cup up.

GoldenSilence Tue 25-Feb-14 19:53:56

Oh wow, I'm really in the wrong size bra then aren't I.

The 30G I wear tends to be in sports bras and they're not a good fit if I'm honest.. They don't really support anything.

So I'm best trying 28GG then? I'll go and inspect the choices on bravissimo now..

Thankyou both.

You're not actually miles out, but when you're busty a band size too big can be a significant difference in the support that the band offers.

Sports bras are a whole different world, but if you want a good one try the Panache one - moulded, underwired, available in a 28 and very good. try the 28GG first.

SimLondon Tue 25-Feb-14 21:25:31

Can you get to a bravissimo shop? reason being different styles may or may not fit even though they are the same size - having a fitting might be really worthwhile even if it means a special trip - and if you can't do that maybe call them for advice and order a few and send the ones that don't fit back.

There are also at least three places that i know of where you can have a rigby and pellar fitting, Bluewater/London/Desborough.

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Tue 25-Feb-14 22:13:49

Can someone please tell me what the 'rules' are? How do I work out what size I am if my back size measures 29.5 and when bending over my size is 35?

I have been wearing a 32C but doesn't seem to give enough support. I want to stop jiggling!

Thank you.

SorrelForbes Tue 25-Feb-14 22:28:00

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Try a 28E/F and a 30DD/E. I suspect that you're feeling unsupported because the band is too big.

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Tue 25-Feb-14 22:39:46

Wow ok - quite a difference. I'm guessing 28/30 are going to be difficult to track down, but I am on a mission now.

Thanks for your help SorrelForbes

SorrelForbes Tue 25-Feb-14 22:51:24

For on-line shops try BraStop, Leia, Me & My Curves and Amazon, in-store (and on-line), Bravissimo, JL, HoF and Debenhams.

Callani Wed 26-Feb-14 12:38:26

Sorry to hijack but I need help too!
I measure 27 in on my back, and about 31/32 around the bust (depending on how tightly I pull the tape) - what would that make me? a 28C?

Also, where on earth do you find 28Cs? Most larger bra companies that offer small backs start at 28D at least.

Try 28c, d and dd given the various measurements.

Callani Wed 26-Feb-14 13:01:09

Thanks Statistically - I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that I could potentially have 28Ds!

Honestly my boobs are tiny! (and paired with a 41inch arse, oh joy)

Have a look at the bra band project website. It shows some real bra sizes -very useful imo

Callani Wed 26-Feb-14 13:11:58

Thanks Statistically that website is truly amazing! Yes I now believe that I could possibly be a 28D.

I wish this information was more readily available, seeing images like this in my teens could have a) saved me a whole lot of back ache and b) helped my self esteem tonnes!

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Sun 02-Mar-14 18:14:36

Double wow. It would appear that I am a 30 E!!! For anyone who knew me in RL this would not seem possible. For the first time since I can remember I am wearing a bra that is comfortable, fits and looks fab.

thanks x many to SorrelForbes

peachysweet Sun 02-Mar-14 18:21:19

Could I also be cheeky and post my measurements please?

I measure 28.5 inches under bust (tape pulled tight) and 33.5 bending down and measuring over fullest part of bust.

I also wondered if anyone could advise re suitable brands to order. I have lost a lot of bulk in the upper bust and my breasts are rather saggy post children and breast feeding. I'm a bit self conscious about this and sometimes wear padded bras for a bit of 'help'.
I don't live anywhere near a Bravissimo so can't go there to get fitted. Is there anywhere else good or is it best to try online?

Many thanks.

Try a 28DD and 28E to start with unless you are very slender (i.e. no padding on your ribs) in which case you may also want to try a 30C/D but I suspect the 28 will be fine.

John Lewis are generally ok for fitting if you have one.

Bra wise, if you have lost volume then bras with tall cups (like a lot of t shirt bras) will be difficult as even if they are the right size, they will gape at the top. You might get on better with a balconette style - something like the Cleo Juna or Maddie, that kind of shape.

peachysweet Mon 03-Mar-14 19:09:51

Thank you v much stasticallychallenged and sorry for not thanking you earlier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now