Talk

Advanced search

can anyone recommend a cheap perfume a bit like clinique happy but more grown up.

(14 Posts)
hootloop Tue 25-Feb-14 13:43:06

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone can recommend me a perfume, I have worn clinique happy since I was about 15 and am getting to the end of my current bottle.
I can't afford another bottle of that as budget is about £20 to £25 at a push. I also want to move to a more grown up smell, not that it isn't a perfume for adults just that I associate it with my teenage years.
I prefer friuty smells to floral, and it absolutely can't be lavender as it triggers DHs migraines.
Any fragrance experts have any suggestions?

teta Tue 25-Feb-14 14:01:25

I used to love Cliniques Happy.If you tend to like Citrus/green perfumes try M and S.There are several in the Fragonard and Monotheme range at very reasonable prices.I also love Roger and Gallet Cedrat which is refreshing but short lived.Worth trying is the Fragonard sample set as you may well find some perfume that you love and these are a little more grown up.Disclaimer - I know very little about perfumes grinbut do know what I like.

hootloop Fri 28-Feb-14 16:00:52

Thanks teta. Anyone else any other ideas? What if I pushed the budget to birthday present budget (would ask my mum to get it) so around £40 to £50?

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 28-Feb-14 16:02:59

Dolce & gabbana Light blue. I wear it in summer - it's got a lemon apple sort of smell, very fresh and summery.

teta Fri 28-Feb-14 16:06:52

Calyx - used to be Prescriptives but is now Clinique.This was my original love but I couldn't get it in Asia and hence switched to Happy.Alternatively come on over to the perfume thread and order some samples to try.

NaturalBaby Fri 28-Feb-14 16:10:46

I loved Happy too. I now wear Stella McCartney, a summer version, and have one of the Nina Ricci perfumes on my list.
There's a perfume thread?!

Joey8 Fri 28-Feb-14 16:19:44

Flower by Kenzo! I think its £39 for a smaller version. It smells amazing and its not over powering. I don't normally wear perfume but this one I just had to buy. Haha even though it still slightly peeves me for paying for perfumed water!

Helpyourself Fri 28-Feb-14 16:30:47

Elizabeth Arden Sunflower is similar IMO and under £20 in supermarkets.

BearPear Fri 28-Feb-14 16:50:27

If you like light fragrance have a sniff of the DKNY apples, they come in different sizes so you can get a size appropriate to your funds!

I also second D&G Light Blue, it is quite a distinct fragrance, very summery.

CK do a nice lemony one but I've forgotten what it's called. It was less than £15 when I bought it for dd2 iirc.

JavaSparrow Fri 28-Feb-14 21:41:22

Op, sounds as if we like similar stuff. yy to dkny be delicious, also Marc Jacobs daisy, maybe even some of the Burberry's. Money wise I grab one of them when they are on offer.

If you go onto Martin Lewis saving money website, there are some recommendations for smell a like type sites. I have used one and for the price they were ridiculously good, but they were perfume oils and I like sprays (not that I am clumsy and end up with oil spots on my clothes, oh no).

Teta - I smelt calyx for the first time this week and am hooked. Roll on payday.

CointreauVersial Fri 28-Feb-14 22:11:38

I love Calyx, and wore it throughout my 20s. Lovely, crisp and green.

hettie Fri 28-Feb-14 23:01:24

Its not the same (less sweet) but might be worth having a sniff of the original French connection edc. You have to go into one of their shops to find it. Fresh, bright citrus type smell.

ProjectGainsborough Fri 28-Feb-14 23:38:41

I was going to suggest Fragonard too. There's an aftershave aimed at teenage boys (forget the name, but you'll know which one it is when you see it) which is gorgeous.

Oh, and it is grown up smelling, promise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now