Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stinky handbag

(8 Posts)
NoGoatsToe Tue 25-Feb-14 12:24:37

I have a lovely black leather handbag bought in the States about 10 years ago, but it has started to stink! So much so, that my DH and sister both commented on it. I think it's a damp smell - I keep my handbags in a cardboard box on top of the wardrobe when I'm not using them. I have tried wiping the outside with baby wipes and spraying febreeze on the lining, but that didn't work. I have tried handwashing the lining in Ariel (whilst keeping the leather part out of the water) and leaving it out on the line to dry, but nope… that didn't work either. I really don't want to bin it - any ideas???

Libraryfan Tue 25-Feb-14 12:32:07

bicarbonate of soda is an odour neutraliser,shake it around the inside and leave for a while (should get rid of the stinky febreze smell too) hoover it out after. good luck

ClaraFox Tue 25-Feb-14 13:12:35

Second the bicarbonate idea but make sure the bag is absolutely dry before you sprinkle it inside or you'll end up with a sludgy mess

It will absorb the smell . Leave it 24 hours to work and then just Hoover out

NoGoatsToe Tue 25-Feb-14 13:30:03

Great idea thanks! I will give that a go.

vix1980 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:38:44

Im trying to solve the same thing but bicarb didnt work for mine - really bad smoke stench from previous owner.

If the bicard doesnt work, wrap it in newspaper make sure its absolutely dry and then leave it in a dark dry place for a couple of days, the newspaper will absorb any smells. Didnt think it would actually work as the smell was so bad but its made such a difference!

hillyhilly Tue 25-Feb-14 14:52:57

The only time I've had a stinking handbag there was a dead mouse rotting inside it!
No help sorry, hope that's not your problem

NoGoatsToe Tue 25-Feb-14 16:45:56

Arrrghhh…. a dead mouse!! Dear God I hope not!
The worst I have found is a decomposing mandarin orange in DS's changing bag several months after he was toilet trained and the bag was no longer being used!
Thanks Vix - I'll try that if the bicarb doesn't work.

Allthingsprettyreturns Tue 25-Feb-14 17:38:33

A quick google has also pointed to charcoal potentially helping..maybe google a bit for more info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now