Talk

Advanced search

Job interview monday - please please advise on work trousers

(12 Posts)
WaxingGibbon Tue 25-Feb-14 11:21:58

Please please help - can anyone recommend good quality smart black (cigarette? I don't know!) trousers suitable for work. That aren't thin / shiny / cheap looking and don't need a matching jacket to work properly as I like tops, cardigans, scarves etc.

In my current job everyone wears jeans - I haven't bought trousers for years

I am size 8-10 but rather untoned in the general bottom area so keen to avoid the hungry trouser look. Also prefer the waistband closer to the waist than the hips iyswim

Budget about £60 - £100 for a really good quality pair that will last

Thank you

MrsLettuce Tue 25-Feb-14 11:36:50

these are worth a look
thrse too
jigsaw have a few
damselinadress

WaxingGibbon Tue 25-Feb-14 11:54:07

Wow MrsLettuce that was quick - thank you so much. So the slimline look is still fashionable. I really don't have a clue! Looks like bluewater tomorrow then..

Any thoughts on what kind of boots or shoes would work best? Presumably a small heel would be better than flats?

SuperWifeANDMum Tue 25-Feb-14 17:53:22

WaxingGibbon A skinny cigarette trouser is a must. You could wear stiletto pumps or pointed toe flats or driving shoes/loafers. All three look chis with skinny trousers.

WaxingGibbon Wed 26-Feb-14 11:09:00

thanks supermum looks like I need to invest in new shoes too grin

I've lived in jeans - albeit smart ones - and boots for years now, so this almost feels like an adventure <uneventful life>

ClaraFox Wed 26-Feb-14 11:16:47

Now don't instantly scoff at this but I got a great pair in sainsburys! They were twenty quid. They're thick, good waistband and they're slim cut. I'm the same size as you with my toning issues firmly centred around my tummy!

They were specifically for interviews and because I never wear black trousers usually, I didn't want to splash out.

Anyway worth a look smile

Financeprincess Wed 26-Feb-14 11:18:42

M&S have some lovely, pure wool (the light wool fabric, not heavy stuff) trousers - think they call it Italian collection or something. They are fab and are much nicer than they look on the website. Lovely and slim, £50, look expensive.

bunnymother Wed 26-Feb-14 11:26:45

Yes, M&S have some wool rich ones, and Cos and Gap both do slim cotton trousers. Its a shame that Banana Republic and TM Lewin, who use good quality fabrics, don't update their trouser styling. Both are sticking with straight trousers, which are good for ankle boots in winter, but their new summer ranges are STILL straight legs.

WaxingGibbon Wed 26-Feb-14 11:31:45

Thanks so much all - this is brilliant

Bunnymother I like lewin shirts. So what style and fabric of trousers do you think would be better for their summer ranges? The slimmer fitting cigarette style again?

bunnymother Wed 26-Feb-14 11:41:00

I genuinely think that the slimmer fitting cigarette trouser IS better for summer, yes, as it is normally worn with court shoes/ stilettos, and that's the style that works best for that shoe. A lightweight wool is my favourite summer suiting material, although wool / silk would be lovely.

In winter, we all get cold, and, so, the straight leg with ankle boots is probably warmer. Some people who are hardier than me would probably continue to wear stilettos. A heavier wool is my favourite winter suiting material.

I think cotton is a more casual looking fabric, than wool, although there are obviously finer weaves than others (Jigsaw are doing some cotton sateen which will be quite fine, v's the thick Gap cotton trousers). Cotton is usually cheaper and easier to wash. However, it often creases, which is an advantage wool has over cotton.

WaxingGibbon Wed 26-Feb-14 13:02:59

Thanks so much bunnymother Clara and Finance

I will be heading straight for Jigsaw and M&S and will have a look in Sainsburys too Clara smile

Hopefully my style alone will wow them all on Monday and be enough to get the job grin

bunnymother Wed 26-Feb-14 14:31:59

Wishing you all the very best for Monday!

Since I posted, I see that J Crew do suiting, some of which looks just lovely (at least, online), like these Paley Super 120s merino wool cigarette trousers: https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/super120s/PRDOVR~52331/52331.jsp. For the rest of their suiting, see here: https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting.jsp

I think I forgot that Boden do wool and cotton workwear, and their Bistro crop trousers are available in either fabric.

ANYWAY, good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now