Talk

Advanced search

That awkward few weeks/months post-partum...tips?

(11 Posts)
SlinkyB Tue 25-Feb-14 09:30:46

My ds2 is six weeks old, and I'm struggling to find anything in my wardrobe that fits, let alone looks nice.

I'm normally a size 14/16. My maternity wear is mostly too big, and I still look pregnant in it. My normal clothes are too small. I am planning on losing the weight, but I want to do it slowly and sensibly.

Does anyone have any tips on what to wear in the interim please? I'm currently living in leggings and bobbly old smock dresses. Don't want to spend a fortune on new clothes, which I'll only (hopefully) be in for a few weeks.

Am actually tempted to buy new, smaller maternity wear!?

Hopefully Tue 25-Feb-14 09:42:07

I wouldn't buy maternity wear - it's really cut for a bump and will look v ill fitting. Why not go to H&M or somewhere else v cheap and buy some jeans/jeggings and a few bigger tops that allow you to BF (if you are)?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Feb-14 09:44:29

I would buy a couple of tops to get you through this in between time, it'll make you feel good about yourself and give you a boost.

Pizdets Tue 25-Feb-14 09:46:28

I did a Primark run and got a few vests and couple of pairs of cheap jeans. I felt so much better for having new clothes but they were so cheap I didn't mind that they were stretched/covered in milk and sick!

SlinkyB Tue 25-Feb-14 12:13:56

I'm worried cheap jeans will make me look worse though Pizdets? I'm a size 16/18 right now, and I think my lumps and bumps won't be well enough supported!

I reckon Next etc should start doing adjustable waistbands on their adult jeans, like they do for their kids ones wink

Hopefully - I'm not breastfeeding, so don't have to worry about that aspect.

Looks like a trip to H&M and New Look is on the cards this weekend then.

quietbatperson Tue 25-Feb-14 14:13:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SlinkyB Tue 25-Feb-14 14:23:27

Are they skinny or straight leg do you know quiet? Have remembered I have some gift vouchers for there.

All my old jeans are boot cut and they seem so out of fashion now!

vix1980 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:29:17

Id stay away from h&m trousers if I were you, there size 10 is cut for a true size 18, so just ridiculously upsetting when trying them on - Not speaking from experience at all remembering back to crying in h&m changing room with 4 wk ds that nothing remotely would go over my thighs wink

Warehouse jeggings are really good, they are stretchy and hold in everything that needs it, ds is now 20 months and ive lived in them since he was born. there on the website at £20 in the sale at the moment. I would start with a couple pairs and get 2/3 longer length tops. Do agree though it makes you feel so much better having clothes that are new and a better fit. congrats by the way too!

quietbatperson Tue 25-Feb-14 14:33:20

quietbatperson Tue 25-Feb-14 14:35:43

Pizdets Tue 25-Feb-14 14:45:41

Slinky, I got a pair in Primark which were 'hold you in' types, think about £15. Admittedly not great quality but all my maternity trousers were rolling down over my belly so at least they fitted properly. Wherever you go definitely worth getting clothes for the in between time in my opinion... I just felt human again to be in normal clothes! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now