Talk

Advanced search

Which tights to go under a dress for work?

(11 Posts)
PeazlyPops Mon 24-Feb-14 21:32:45

I don't normally wear dresses, I usually go for trousers and a top, so my legs are usually covered up, however I start a new job in a few weeks and the office is much smarter than my current job, so I have bought a couple of dresses.

Which denier tights should I go for, I think I want black ones, but don't want too thick, but don't want see-thru either?

OneLittleLady Mon 24-Feb-14 21:39:42

I'd go for a minimum of 40 denier but preferably 80 deiner. M&S have surprisingly good tights and the primark 40 denier weather sensor tights are actually really good for the price.

PeazlyPops Mon 24-Feb-14 22:22:52

Thank you, I'll go for 80 to start with then, the more covered up the better I think!

The last time I wore tights was when I was at school, so I'm totally clueless.

Thanks for the m&s / primark tip, ill have a look. I will need a good few pairs, as I remember always laddering tights!

wileycoyote Mon 24-Feb-14 22:26:24

I'd go for 15 or 20. Anything more is almost or completely opaque. MandS or Boots not John Lewis!!

Financeprincess Mon 24-Feb-14 22:53:03

Don't wear sheer black, you'll look like you're in a Joan Collins timewarp.

Ohfuckohfuckofuck Tue 25-Feb-14 08:09:02

Agree NO to 15/20 denier, yikes.
40/80 is good. I'm never sure what to wear in better weather as my bare legs are a sight only for the bathroom.

Hopefully Tue 25-Feb-14 09:50:42

I either go totally opaque or totally nude - I'm not a fan of 20 denier dark colours, think it looks dated. I am reliably informed that it's coming back in fashion, but I can't quite imagine doing it again.

HazleNutt Tue 25-Feb-14 10:58:47

If nude then no more than 20 or you will look like grandma in support stockings. If coloured/black then thick, 60-80, sheer black IMO does not look great in work environment.

Vickiyumyum Tue 25-Feb-14 11:19:31

40 is a good thickness, usually what I wear for work. I buy mine in sainsburys. pack of three for about £5, they wash and wear well. I try not to tumble dry them though, just drape them on radiator or over the airer, they dry quickly.

Also a surprising find but the golden lady ones at asda, are fab. I picked them up on my lunch break before going to next meting and mine were laddered, wasn't expecting much but they are great. really soft and a good opaqueness. I keep meaning to go back and buy more.

Vickiyumyum Tue 25-Feb-14 11:21:04

not the George ones, they were on the end of an aisle away from the clothing, think I the store near me it was on the end of the sanitary towels and tampon aisle.

PeazlyPops Thu 27-Feb-14 10:34:01

I went with 70 denier in black, I think they are just right - you can see my legs, but I don't feel exposed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now