Talk

Advanced search

So what the heck SHOULD I wear??

(16 Posts)
MrsShortfuse Mon 24-Feb-14 21:06:12

S&B confuses me like mad! This is my impression:

FatFace, Boden, M&S, Next = Frumpy/Cheap Polyester

I live in an average town, where am I supposed to shop then? And what should I wear? I'm size 16-18 and apple shaped. And in my 40s.

NCISaddict Mon 24-Feb-14 21:09:07

If you find out could you let me know? I'm late 40's, size 14-16 and end up wearing Sainsbury's and Matalan most of the time. Thank goodness for a uniform for work!

PoshPaula Mon 24-Feb-14 21:09:31

Where do you shop at the moment? And what is your style?

Cherrypie32 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:09:46

You should wear what you like and what suits you. All those shops will have some nice bits and some not so nice bits but it depends on your personal taste and style. Honestly don't use S&B as a bible, I just find it an interesting read smile

cloudskitchen Mon 24-Feb-14 21:11:01

I have bits from all those places but I think you have to pick and choose. I wouldn't walk into fat face and buy my whole summer wardrobe. However it's more important to wear things you feel confident in and if that's boden for you then go for it. Just mix it up a bit grin

MrsShortfuse Mon 24-Feb-14 21:14:20

I like bootleg trousers/jeans, chelsea boots and shirts that cover my tummy up blush I keep reading that's frumpy! sad

NCISaddict Mon 24-Feb-14 21:17:49

I have fitflop clogs, long sleeved t shirts and bootlegged jeans plus a seasalt parka. Possibly very frumpy but at least my knees don't hurt too much.

NCISaddict Mon 24-Feb-14 21:18:23

Meant to say I feel your pain OP, smile

bunnymother Mon 24-Feb-14 21:18:43

You can get good basics in most of the high st stores, but it takes time to find them, and, then, they only crop up in some stores, some of the time. I don't think I could replicate my wardrobe in any one season, if you know what I mean, as I have been "cherry picking" what I like, in natural fibres, from the high st for a few years.

Uniqlo and Gap often have really good basics in natural fibres at good prices (cotton and silk in both of them, right now). In H&M you have to look a bit harder, and then in Zara and Mango, if you are looking for natural fibres, you need a seeing eye glass and lots of patience. They are there, but in the definite minority. Oasis have some cute cotton things at the moment, and Dorothy Perkins does sometimes, too. Even TopShop, but it all takes time. Cos and Massimo Dutti have more natural fibres than Zara, Mango and Warehouse (I have pretty much given up on the latter), but they tend to have more "formal" pieces, so it depends on what look you like?

Here's an idea - how about looking at some Pinterest boards? lots of people on MN have their Pinterest boards linked in some of the threads, so you could look at where they have acquired their pieces?

Mandy2003 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:22:17

What tips for a 16-18 apple shape that do not involve a tunic top? In my case I can't wear fixed waistband due to umbilical hernia too.

OneLittleLady Mon 24-Feb-14 21:37:55

Every shop has nice things, you just have to choose carefully. I buy loads in Primark for example, I just carefully check labels for natural fibres (which they have a surprisingly large amount of) or natural fibre mixes. I'm younger but still, I don't think it matters where you shop as long as you buy what YOU like and what suits YOU. The things I like and suit aren't made for everyone!

bunnymother Mon 24-Feb-14 21:38:40

I quite liked this article on dressing for your shape: http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/826747/dressing-for-your-body-type

According to this article, "you want to elongate your midsection and create the illusion of a smaller waist.

DO go for monochromatic looks.
DO go for v-neck tops to create the illusion of a longer torso.
DO wear a bra that offers good lift and support.
DO wear belts at the smallest part of your waist (NOTE; THE MOST FLATTERING POINT IS USUALLY JUST ABOVE YOUR NATURAL WAIST).
DO conceal tummy bulge by wearing empire tops and dresses.
DO wear boot cut and flared jeans to create an even line from the shoulders down.
DO wear shorter skirts to show off your legs and draw attention away from your midsection."

(It might not be very helpful for you, though esp bootcut references, given that they aren't exactly "in" right now). Couldn't you still wear tops with some pleating and ruching that create the illusion of a waist, even though a waistband won't actually work for you?

bunnymother Mon 24-Feb-14 21:39:02

www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/826747/dressing-for-your-body-type

capsium Mon 24-Feb-14 21:49:21

I found myself craving the jeans from Edinburgh Woollen Mill, the other day. blush

www.ewm.co.uk/country-rose-jeans-32.html

I'd had a hard time trying new jeans on earlier, all the ones with a high enough rise (to hide muffin too) were 'slim fit' aka tight and uncomfortable. The Woollen Mill ones at least looked comfy at least, with their part elastic waist band but that could be hidden with my belt I told myself! blush blush blush

Thankfully I found not one but two pairs of jeans in BHS today. Their 'sits below the waist' actually have quite a high rise and are fine. grin

MrsShortfuse Mon 24-Feb-14 21:49:22

What's a 'waist'???? grin

bunnymother Mon 24-Feb-14 21:51:02

Its what I had pre-DCs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now