Talk

Advanced search

How to cover a revealing wrap-dress neck line

(24 Posts)
GoodnessKnows Mon 24-Feb-14 08:11:00

I've just bought (ebay) a lovely wrap dress. It looks great except for the gaping neckline that it creates. Someone told me about a triangular piece of fabric that can be used to 'fill the gap' more easily than a cami top (those ruffle up and leave a line around my waist).
I don't want to make one myself as would inevitably look ... homemade.
Any ideas?

MrsLettuce Mon 24-Feb-14 08:12:19

Pin dress to bra was always my go to with wrap dresses.

AntoinetteCosway Mon 24-Feb-14 08:12:58

Secret support vest tops tend to have more elastic in so they don't ruffle up.

Amethyst24 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:42:07

Not a fan of those modesty panels - they look a bit Amish wife to me. I'd just use loads of tit tape.

Hopefully Mon 24-Feb-14 08:53:12

I like long camisoles from H&M - they reach all the way down over my bottom so don't roll up into my waist. And they're quite thing so don't add bulk.

frankietwospots Mon 24-Feb-14 09:00:38

I've got a few of these for under wrap tops/dresses.

www.marksandspencer.com/fairtrade-cotton-rich-lace-trim-vest-with-stay-new-technology/p/p22198177

Tiredemma Mon 24-Feb-14 09:02:07

I love wrap dresses- I also have a mammoth supply of the vests that frankie has just linked to.

SimLondon Mon 24-Feb-14 09:13:48

Plain strappy t-shirt underneath.

GoodnessKnows Mon 24-Feb-14 09:16:37

Haha Amethyst. So true.
I couldn't pin this one to bra as gapes too widely.
I like the sound of the longer vest tops. Any links? I'm housebound at moment as recovering from surgery (hence spending on Ebay, internet, etc.).
There's a local boutique selling longer vest tops but they're £25-30. Seems a lot!
I already have waist-length cami tops.
They do show a waist line though.
Would longer ones also show a lower line?

princessalbert Mon 24-Feb-14 09:17:16

I would wear a tight vest underneath - so no riding up.

Alternatively good use of a safety pin.

The 'modesty panels' are a bit odd IMO.

Hopefully Mon 24-Feb-14 09:29:27

I think these are the H&M ones I have.

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Feb-14 09:32:56

Land's End Ts and camisoles are very long (and I say that as a tall person witha long back).

Vickiyumyum Mon 24-Feb-14 09:36:55

m&s longline in order o not ide up they need to be quite tight and at least to your hips. I wear wrap dresses a lot or work, so try and avoid bra showing, I have a drawer full of the m&s lace trim and plain vest/cami's. also some from h&m, although I found the h&m black ones faded quite fast.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Mon 24-Feb-14 09:38:17

Next do some nice plain vest tops, if you get them from the tall range they will be long enough.

Puddles1234 Mon 24-Feb-14 09:41:21

Amethyst24 Not a fan of those modesty panels - they look a bit Amish wife to me. I'd just use loads of tit tape.

Couldn't have said it better. Just buy some tape and it will be fine.

Vickiyumyum Mon 24-Feb-14 09:43:02

just checked the one I'm wearing today (under a slightly sheer blouse) and its from Next, these are my favourites, hold the shape and colour really well. next

CMOTDibbler Mon 24-Feb-14 09:43:42

I mostly wear a slip with a lace top as it then doesn't have a line and makes the dress hang better.

M&S used to do a cami bra which was great, but they stopped it

GoodnessKnows Mon 24-Feb-14 17:36:39

Like the idea of
a slip. Clever

GoodnessKnows Mon 24-Feb-14 17:36:58

Wow. So many options. Thank you all!

AwkwardSquad Mon 24-Feb-14 20:52:23

I have a couple of tight fitting black cotton Lycra slips that finish mid thigh. They look like plain vest tops, they don't make any lumps and bumps under the dress, and they don't ride up. They also provide some additional security when it's windy and your skirt gets blown about!

GoodnessKnows Mon 24-Feb-14 20:58:30

Awkward, where did you buy them from? Sound good.

AwkwardSquad Tue 25-Feb-14 07:21:34

They're from Part Two but they're a few years old now, unfortunately. I saw similar in the Toast catalogue last year so they may still have them.

TheJumped Tue 25-Feb-14 08:48:49

Yes to long vests, def go for the H and M ones - £4 and wash perfectly (make sure you get the cotton ones as randomly some are viscose) I have vests from much more expensive places that have twisted seams after one wash.

I sometimes tuck them into my tights to stop them riding up, but generally the long line smooths over any vpl and lumpiness in the hip region too.

burnishedsilver Tue 25-Feb-14 09:36:32

I wear cropped tops over my bra if I have a casual dress with a low neckline. I find vests add too much bulk.

like this. Tesco often have similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now