Talk

Advanced search

What to spend £850 on?

(23 Posts)
bouncychair Sun 23-Feb-14 21:25:46

Have the money from an insurance claim and DP wants me to spend it on me. (Devastated that I've lost my expensive watch. First xmas present from DP and was going to be my something old when we got married sad).

I'm just about to come out of the nappy bag phase after 3 years but I'm not sure that I want to spend it all on a bag? If I spend it all on a bag now I will probably want a new/different bag in 2 years so is it better to get a cheaper bag now so I don't feel guilty about getting a new one in 2 years? I'm also in the process of losing weight (1 stone down, ideally 2 more to go) so if I got the cheaper bag would have more to spend on a new wardrobe.

My watch was the most expensive thing I've ever owned so I feel nervous about spending it all on one purchase!

To give you an idea I really like this Mulberry bag: www.mulberry.com/shop/womens-bags/satchels/effie-satchel-oak-spongy-pebbled

But equally like this from Russell and Bromely:
www.russellandbromley.co.uk/totes/ivy/invt/712716

Coconutty Sun 23-Feb-14 21:27:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mintyy Sun 23-Feb-14 21:27:21

Don't rush into anything. Take your time.

You aren't seriously asking other people who don't know you to make a decision for you?

bouncychair Sun 23-Feb-14 21:28:22

No - I think I'm really asking whether expensive bags are worth the money.

MaryWestmacott Sun 23-Feb-14 21:32:17

Would you not want to replace the watch? Or another piece of jewllery.

A handbag while is lovely, isn't going to have the longetivity as the watch you lost.

If you don't want a new watch, what about something like a pair of earrings, you can then still wear them at your wedding.

Mintyy Sun 23-Feb-14 21:33:00

Ah. Can't contribute on that, I'm afraid.

Merriboo Sun 23-Feb-14 21:33:27

Erm, am I missing something? You're upset at losing your expensive watch- why are you thinking of a bag rather than replacing the watch????

bouncychair Sun 23-Feb-14 21:38:04

They don't make my watch anymore and to be honest it had such sentimental value that I'd never look at a watch in the same way again. I'm using an old swatch watch now!

Earrings I lose all the time but a necklace might be a good idea. It's just post-children the thought of spending all the money on one thing seems wasteful and very extravagant.

I joked recently with my Mum and SIL about using it all for the wedding but I'm not sure that it would cover a wedding!

I think I will stick it in a savings account until I see something I really, really like.

babySophieRose Sun 23-Feb-14 21:45:01

I think that if you normally don't buy expensive handbags you could treat yourself and buy one, but i personally wouldn't spend more than double of what i usually spend on a bag.

forevermore Sun 23-Feb-14 21:51:32

I would go for a Mulberry bayswater. Timeless classic. You'll use it for years. Great resale value and very versatile. Keep protected and in dust bag and it will outlive most material things.

Mrswellyboot Sun 23-Feb-14 21:56:38

850 is a huge amount. Maybe I am too sensible but I would spend 100-200 max on a bag

Them I would put the rest aside for buying nice classic well made clothes as you lose weight as a treat for yourself. So for now you could buy shoes, cashmere jumper and as you go along add to capsule wardrobe smile

bunnymother Sun 23-Feb-14 22:02:48

I'd buy a Baume & Mercier Hampton watch. If I lost my watch (present from DH), that's what I'd get. I prefer to spend on watches / jewellery than a bag.

bouncychair Sun 23-Feb-14 22:09:23

It is a huge amount and that's why I think I'm more likely to spend about 250 on a bag and the rest on some clothes. Although that Hampton watch is lovely!

RonaldMcDonald Sun 23-Feb-14 22:23:54

probably put the money toward this

cloudskitchen Sun 23-Feb-14 23:05:52

I think I'd split it between a nice watch and a nice bag. Plenty for both there. Its nice to have an attractive watch and whilst swatches are fun and funky they are not very chic grin

Puddles1234 Mon 24-Feb-14 01:00:43

If you want a classic bag within that price range. Keep the £850 for when mulberry has a sale. They normally reduce their £1200 bags to around £750.

Robfordscrack Mon 24-Feb-14 01:38:40

did anyone mention a park bench yet? grin

scarlet76 Mon 24-Feb-14 06:23:18

I would split it between the following 3 items:

�250 - �300 watch: check out Mondaine, Tissot, Michael Kors depending on your style

�300 - �350 bag: consider Coach, Russell & Bromley, Anya Hindmarch

�200 - �250 necklace; Long string of pearls, something personal like a locket

MaryWestmacott Mon 24-Feb-14 12:53:59

It might be worth thinking if you want to buy one thing or several - for me, as it was replacing something that was a one off, "keep forever" item, then you should replace with soemthing similar, and no matter how gorgeous, no handbag in that price range is going to be more than a 10 year purchase, whereas something like some diamond or pearl earrings or a bracelet could be one of those "keep forever, use at every 'fancy' event, hand on to the grandchildren" type thing.

Normally I'd say a good handbag is worth it because it does make a huge difference to your outfit/how "put together" you look/feel, but in this case, I'd be going for a more long lasting item.

Pagwatch Mon 24-Feb-14 13:03:01

Don't look for something.
Wait until you see something you love. Inthe meantime put it in the bank.

Dh kept asking me what I wanted for my birthday and I didn't really want anything. Then we walked past a shop together and I saw a painting I just loved.
Never in a million years would I have said 'I'd like a panting' but it makes me very happy and it's part of my home.

Floisme Mon 24-Feb-14 13:06:34

If it was me, I think I would try and get something bespoke. I would either save the money until I had hit my target weight then reward myself by having something specially made to fit me; or I would go for something that would work whatever my size e.g. jewelry or shoes (not a bag as I don't get them but that's just me - whatever makes you happy).

I have never done this and have absolutely no idea what you might get for £850 but that is my idea of luxury.

Vickiyumyum Mon 24-Feb-14 15:10:41

I'd buy one thing with it. If a watch isn't what you want then a bracelet or a necklace something classic and timeless. Definitely not a handbag and I love bags and regularly trast myself.

PestoSnowissimos Mon 24-Feb-14 15:13:00

I'd have a week somewhere hot

Or

A week on the slopes

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now