Talk

Advanced search

Ebay advice please

(17 Posts)
NewChoos Sun 23-Feb-14 19:22:26

Have finally streamlined wardrobe (s)….

I would like to ebay some items, mainly jigsaw, monsoon dresses/skirts, all in good condition. Also maternity clothes (including a dress like Kate M wore, I got none first though!)
What price would you put as a reserve?

Thanks, am ebay novice.

Chocolateteabag Sun 23-Feb-14 20:03:42

I tend not to put reserve prices on my eBay stuff as I don't like them on things I look at.

You can search on completed listings to see what similar things have sold for to give you an idea of what you could get.

Then you need to start each one at a price you would be ok to sell it at, ie if it goes for 99p will you be gutted? If you don't want to part with a dress for less than £20, list it at that price. Listing at 99p is a gamble. Also take lots of pics and add lots of details (measurements etc) check carefully for any holes/marks and include a picture of them so you don't get stung by a complaint afterwards.

Make sure you charge enough for postage, for some bulkier things, sending by MyHermes courier (if you gave a shop nearby you can drop off at) may be cheaper.

There is a dedicated eBay forum on here too where you can get lots of help and advice

Good luck

MillyBlods Sun 23-Feb-14 22:40:53

Chocolate could you link me to the ebay thread please. Thanks.

LordPalmerston Mon 24-Feb-14 04:13:12

It's a topic.

MillyBlods Mon 24-Feb-14 09:54:11

Thanks for that. Just that there are a few threads so was hoping Chocolate could link direct to the pertinent thread. Not to worry.smile

MillyBlods Mon 24-Feb-14 09:56:46

Just had a look and there are no eBay " topics" per se. What topic dies it come under please?

comicsansisevil Mon 24-Feb-14 09:58:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MirandaWest Mon 24-Feb-14 09:59:29

Here is the eBay topic smile

MirandaWest Mon 24-Feb-14 10:00:05

Was in the "In the club" section

LilyBlossom14 Mon 24-Feb-14 10:01:14

list on free listing weekends at the lowest price you would accept, never start at 99p, start in the evening, clear photos, lots of measurements, send courier like MyHermes or Collect+ which are tracked, don't state you don't accept returns. Photograph items on a dummy if you have one, if not on hanger, ironed with a plain background. Don't charge a fortune for postage.

Fullpleatherjacket Mon 24-Feb-14 10:07:38

There is a minimum reserve price on Ebay (£50 last time I looked) and an extra fee for using it.

As said, I would wait for a free listing day then start at the minimum I was willing to accept.

Fullpleatherjacket Mon 24-Feb-14 10:11:23

Oh, and I offer free postage these days. Might as well as Ebay now get a rake of that too angry.

I make it an all in price and make a big deal of it in the title and the description.

MillyBlods Mon 24-Feb-14 12:06:30

Wow...thanks for all that information. I didn't know so much went into selling. I'm so glad I posted now as I am just starting out. smile Do any of you make good money out of it if you don't mind me asking....and thankyou for the link too.

LordPalmerston Mon 24-Feb-14 12:13:48

I never accept returns.

LilyBlossom14 Mon 24-Feb-14 12:16:02

Lord you cannot refuse a return - all a buyer needs to do is open a case. If you state you don't accept returns, or responsibility for lost items, you kind of won't be around for long. Buyers will just open cases and trash your feedback and stars, and you will end up losing, or restriction, of your account. A sale on eBay is not final, no matter what you state on your listing.

MillyBlods Mon 24-Feb-14 17:21:50

That makes a lot of sense Lily re returns. I know that ebay seems to be very generous to the "buyer" and will almost always give them their money back if they make enough fuss so it makes sense to offer returns as it seems friendlier and more open.

LordPalmerston Mon 24-Feb-14 17:22:39

you are right - i had some right old weirdo ask me for measurements after a sale then accused me of lying - like i CBa to do that

freak a zeak

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now