Talk

Advanced search

what colour eyeshadow for natural blondes with blue eyes ?

(22 Posts)
thriftychic Sun 23-Feb-14 17:52:14

im in a roll today with the questions , hope no one minds . i am trying to sort out my rubbish almost non existent make up .

what colour eyeshadow should i look for ? and any suggestions for good ones ? i am thinking not shimmery as its for daytime and im 38 so prob end up looking wrinkly !
so far , i am planning to sort eyebrows with benefit gimme brow or similar and buy a peachy pink lipstick , maybe a clinique chubby stick that someone recommended.
so , want some stuff for eyes now .

aswell as eye shadow if anyone could recomend an eyeliner and mascara that would be good . should i go for brown or black ? can you tell i am crap with makeup !?

Puddles1234 Sun 23-Feb-14 20:55:25

Maybe get a quad palette.

Rich bronze and creams so you can create a smokey eye.

Why not book a makeup session with one if the makeup counters?! They will show how to contour, highlight and how to best to make your eyes pop and sparkle.

thriftychic Sun 23-Feb-14 21:09:27

i am a tad scared of the orange ladies at the counters grin
its a good idea though really

Littlefiendsusan Sun 23-Feb-14 21:39:55

I'm the same colouring as you but a little older.
My go- to eyeshadow colour has always been browns, I have lots of eyeshadows and it depends on what I feel like as to which one I wear. Shimmery doesn't bother me.
Charchol greys also look lovely, Bourjois do good ones.
MUA eyeshadows from Superdrug, which I found out about on here,are so cheap that you can buy loads and have a good play around to see what colours suits you.
For years I wore brown mascara, thinking it was the done thing,then thought sod it,I want my eyes to really stand out, so switched to black. Maybelline and No7 are good places to start.

For me, I go easy on eyeliner. On some people I find it ages them and can 'close' their eye. For evenings I would sometimes take my eye shadow around my lower lashes with a fine brush instead of a darker liner.

I have my brows waxed every so now and then and I dye them too. Have tried threading but it always ruins a good day, it's so jeffing painful.

Have fun experimenting smile

QueenCadbury Sun 23-Feb-14 21:45:16

I love silver/grey eyeshadow/liner. You could try navy mascara as I find it's a bit softer than black or the max factor one for blue eyes.

buttercrumble Sun 23-Feb-14 21:46:35

As above ,browns with a bit of sparkle always look good . So does a peachy colour smile

PastaandCheese Sun 23-Feb-14 22:43:43

Definitely browns. You have the same colouring as me.

I like Clinique Chubby sticks for eyes and have Fuller Fudge and Amber Glow.

MagratGarlik Sun 23-Feb-14 22:52:53

You're the same colouring (and only a couple of years younger) than me.

My fail-safe is browns. If I use shimmery ones, I'd go for a creamy coloured matt base with a darker shimmery brown (mid brown rather than dark brown as I find going too dark makes your eyes look smaller and you look older).

For evening I have a silver eye-shadow which looks surprisingly good.

For mascara I use dark brown or get them dyed add it saves time.

MagratGarlik Sun 23-Feb-14 22:53:19

Add= as

issimma Mon 24-Feb-14 07:44:44

Navy mascara, grey eyeliner, pale purple eyeshadow.

teta Mon 24-Feb-14 10:23:14

Wear Chubby Sticks plum or green.Although I have grey/blue eyes the plum/green accentuate the greeny flecks in my eyes.

QueenCadbury Mon 24-Feb-14 10:28:08

Although we're all blonde blue eyed we must have different colouring as peach and browns look ghastly on me .

mrsnec Mon 24-Feb-14 10:44:35

I went to the lancome counter as I am the same problem with the same colouring, she reccomended a very dark grey with a lot of glitter which looks nasty. The only other one I've found that I quite like is a slightly shimmery taupe shade bt bourjois but I. Can't find it or remember what it's called!

Leviticus Mon 24-Feb-14 10:58:05

Taupe, grey, brown. Definitely black mascara - Max Factor's are always to be recommended.

Reddish Mon 24-Feb-14 11:01:18

I'm close in age to you and have the same colouring. Brown eyeshadows look terrible on me whereas greys always look good, particularly silver/shimmery greys and lighter shades of blue-ish greys. Mostly i wear Bobbie Brown eyeshadow in "bone" all over the eye lid up to the brow bone, with black mascara and sometimes I'll use Christian Dior eyeliner in Divine Bronze. Pink blushers always work best for me, having tried many over the years the best I've found is L'Oreal Le Blush True Match in True Rose - I look like a ghost without blusher.

Notify Mon 24-Feb-14 11:07:14

I agree issimma. Navy mascara, grey eyeliner.

The navy sounds odd but once on it's just dark, not "blue" iyswim. Usually brown (or black) clothes don't suit blue eyed blondes, so why would you put it on your eyes? They Navy can really lift your whole face.

mrsnec Mon 24-Feb-14 11:48:47

That is true that I never wear brown it looks horrible on me but when I've tried blues and purples on my eyes I always end up looking like I've been in a fight. I rarely wear eye shadow these days. As I don't think I've ever found one that truly suits. That boujois shadow I had was a kind of taupe with a lilac irredescence which may be why I thought it was more flattering than just taupe. Think I need to be a bit more adventurous.

thriftychic Tue 04-Mar-14 16:56:53

sorry , late to reply , but thanks for all the suggestions . Have just tried brown and on me its a no no . Pale silvery colour seems best but think i need to find a creamy one so it doesnt accentuate the lines ! where would i find one ? any idea ?

Notify , interesting what you say about the clothes , i wear a lot of navy but have never thought of trying it with make up , going to give it a go smile

squoosh Tue 04-Mar-14 17:04:10

Maybelline's new tattoo eye shadows are meant to be great. They have a silvery one.

thriftychic Tue 04-Mar-14 20:49:20

oh right thanks will have a look smile

IlonaRN Wed 05-Mar-14 19:19:55

If the browns don't suit you, try purples/mauves.
They look very good on me (dark blue eyes, ash-blonde hair).

bluesbaby Wed 05-Mar-14 20:46:47

if navy suits you, you're probably a cool-blonde. avoid browns/oranges/peachy tones because they're too warm for you.

go for navy, silver/greys, charcoal, cooler purples, even cool jewel greens could look quite good (depending on the type of blue eyes you have).

if you actually want to make your eyes "pop" you need to use a complementary colour - which would be orangey bronze shades - but sounds like it's going to clash with hair & skin potentially so stick to charcoals, greys, and navy to make your eyes stand out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now