Talk

Advanced search

Is there such thing as a safe sun bed? !

(8 Posts)
sugar4eva Sun 23-Feb-14 15:47:16

Am v v pale. Had fake spray tan couple years ago in salon looked terrible then went patchy when had been in pool on holiday. Going on hol soon and don't want to repeat this experience ! Friend said i need a base tan on sun ex then I will tan- well my version of tanning! - when on holiday. I'm not trying toget a tan that is deep I'm red haired tones but want to be less milk bottle! Are sun beds or similar now safer or a no no? !

PoorOldCat Sun 23-Feb-14 16:02:18

Sorry, they are not safer than they used to be - it is a big risk to take with your health.

I'm sure spray tans have improved though.

PoorOldCat Sun 23-Feb-14 16:03:58

I meant to say that one session on a sun bed increases your risk of skin cancer by a massive percentage.

Don't do it - but DO cover up in the hot sun. It's sudden exposure that is the higher risk - not gradual exposure in a climate like ours.

Sunbeds though are a bigger risk than any 'natural' tanning.

florascotia Sun 23-Feb-14 18:06:16

No - there is not such a thing as a safe sunbed, especially if you are under 35. Please, please avoid sunbeds and please, please very kindly read through all of this:
sunsmart.org.uk/UV-the-sun-and-skin-cancer/sunbeds/

It will tell you that your friend is talking dangerous rubbish - however well-meaning she is.

A friend of mine with very pretty naturally pale colouring died young, of skin cancer, just because of normal, so-called 'healthy', sunbathing. So please use fake tan, or else celebrate your own natural, delicate skin tones. After all, being a red-head is the rarest of all natural colourings, and there's no law that says we have to have a sun-tan. I have no evidence, but I bet film stars like Tilda Swinton and Cate Blanchett don't use sun-beds. Sun-tanned skin was deeply unfashionable until the 1920s/1930s, anyway. Be pale and proud - and enjoy your holiday.

burnishedsilver Sun 23-Feb-14 18:19:22

No.
I'm surprised anyone still uses them.
Try a few brands of fake tan til you find one that suits your skin, or embrace the pale.

PoorOldCat Sun 23-Feb-14 19:19:05

Flora, I lost someone too, in her 30s - sorry about your friend.

florascotia Sun 23-Feb-14 19:49:28

Thank you, cat. My condolences to you, too. I just cannot believe how popular sun beds still are, considering their dangers.

Walnut8 Sun 23-Feb-14 23:55:52

Sun beds will be banned where I live by the end of this year. About bloody time. Please don't use them.

I actually like St Tropez mousse and I'm pretty pale - it goes a nice brown rather than orange and I find it isnt patchy when it fades. Some spray tans do have the tendency to go patchy and awful if you get one that is too dark/orange in particular. You could also try a daily moisturising self-tan for a hint of colour (get rid of the "milk bottle" look if you wish!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now