Talk

Advanced search

How to look after nails ....

(15 Posts)
sugar4eva Sun 23-Feb-14 15:41:52

Have had very thin soft nail s all my life - they split , bend , break if I ever get them to grow with the tiniest bit of white. Saw a thread which referred to a really good nail hard re which you just apply to tips and it was via amazon but can't find the thread ! Anyone know what this is please. ?
Also how do you look after cuticles? Push back , cut off/ trim ? Have neglected nails ! Thanks.

something2say Sun 23-Feb-14 15:52:44

I don't have soft nails so can't help there, but for general nail care I tend to keep quite shirt as play guitar. So shirt and filed and nest and clean, and cut bits at the side. Push cuticles back in the bath and make sure nest when dry. Plenty of hand cream round the house and in handbag, and paint from time to time. Faves are black, pink, bright or dark red. But the best thing is keeping them fairly short and well shaped. X

Facebaffle Sun 23-Feb-14 16:06:38

I keep mine short as well and use a crystal file rather than an emery board. I push the cuticles back and rub oil into nails/cuticles every evening ( when I go to bed ).

JemimaPuddle Sun 23-Feb-14 18:43:55

I think it's Mavala Scientifique you're thinking of smile

BirthdayMuppet Sun 23-Feb-14 19:17:54

Biggest thing is to never use your nails as a tool and to keep them dry. Always dry under the nail tips with a towel corner when you wash your hands. File nails gently in one direction - no 'sawing', and try to keep a natural top curve that echoes the shape of the bottom curve. Don't file the sides too much either, they provide a lot of support for the rest of the nail tip.

Ruprekt Sun 23-Feb-14 19:18:52

Almond oil helps them grow. smile

granny24 Sun 23-Feb-14 20:42:49

I tried every product that came on the market for years to no real effect. Then last autumn I treated my nails to a gel manicure. This lasted for a month and my nails actually grew past my finger tips for the first time ever. I have had another two gel manicures a.nd now have long hard nails.

sugar4eva Sun 23-Feb-14 20:47:01

I have no idea what a g manicure is but will google! Thanks all !

Cheesyslice Sun 23-Feb-14 20:53:38

Sally Hansen cuticle oil a few times a week. Soak in the bath, push cuticles back and trim carefully. One coat of SH nail thickener miracle stuff then two coats of gel-based polish. Top coat. Tons of hand cream as often as I remember.

needtobediscreet Sun 23-Feb-14 20:54:12

I've bitten my nails since childhood.
I've managed to grow them a few times with surprising success. Sally Hansen miracle growth treatment (in a blue bottle) was fantastic! It's an all round treatment but I think they do a specific hardener too.

Don't overbuff your nails and wear
gloves for all chores.
I got acrylics for my wedding - they looked fab but they're also a faff with needing the in fills and they wreck your nails so avoid at all costs.

sugar4eva Sun 23-Feb-14 21:06:20

Thanks all ; I wd just love to get nails to end of finger tips without breaking , peeling etc etc! smile

Cheesyslice Tue 25-Feb-14 02:36:58

Yy to avoiding acrylics. Evil stuff. Destroys nails.

ProjectGainsborough Tue 25-Feb-14 16:50:11

Rubbing Vaseline into them (and hands) to leave on overight. Made a massive difference to mine!

HorsesDogsNails Tue 25-Feb-14 17:02:05

There is a brand new nail strengthening product called IBX. It is genuinely new technology and it strengthens and reinforces nails from within. There is nothing left on the surface of the nail but it improves the look and robustness of nails. It can be used under a gel manicure, nail polish or as a standalone treatment.

It was only launched yesterday so you might struggle to find someone offering it yet!! I put it on my nails last night and am lining up some helpful guinea pigs among my client base.....

HorsesDogsNails Tue 25-Feb-14 17:15:56

Just thought to add IBX is a professional use product though, Di salon or mobile Nail Tech.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now